« mental wounds not healin, who and whats to blame? im going off the rails on a crazy train | Main | call me SCUM »

mg

i know a girl who thinks of ghosts, she'll make ya breakfast, she'll make ya toast

by mg at 09:49 PM on March 01, 2006

I am head over heals in love with a pair of 15-year-old girls from the Netherlands.

Pomme and Kelly, the ingnues in question, have created a series of videos of themselves lip-syncing to popular music. I know that doesnt sound like much, but the videos are absolutely enthralling. It is just such dorky and good natured fun. And the girls, who I might add are just 15 years-old, look like they are enjoying themselves so much that it is hard not to enjoy yourself either.

Oh, sure there might be a thing or two many of you might rather see videos of 15 year-olds doing with their lips rather than fake singing to Shania Twain (and thatd, of course, be playing trumpet, right? Because thats the only thing Id rather see them do with their lips), but my love for P&K stems from the totally wholesome place of remembering myself at the age, and all the time I spent lip-syncing into a broom handle while watching myself in the mirror.

Man, there is something about being that age where lip-syncing to bad music couldnt be more fun. Id get home from school and spend at least four hours every night singing along to music I couldnt even bring myself to listen to today (And to give you a good picture of my daily routine, Id then spend an hour burning things, two hours watching tv, and then half an hour on homework, before falling asleep so late that Id wake up late for school. Everyday.)

If I were Pomme and Kellys age today, Id totally be making videos of myself to put on the inter-net. Of course, no one would want to watch me because Im not a hot 15 year old Dutch girl.

Id first caught wind of Pomme and Kelly about a week ago, but was heading out of town for the weekend and didnt get a chance to write anything about them before I left. I was going to say these two were about to become inter-net stars. And, in the six days since I first saw one of their videos, they have indeed become inter-net starts. According to their site, theyre going to be interviewed for an article in the L.A Times.

And they, along with the video of the presidents of the Yao Ming fan club singing the Backstreet Boys featured on VH1s Web Junk 20 even spawned the idea for Google Idol, which is like America/Pop Idol, only using clips of people lip-syncing instead of singing.

Personally, Id rather watch people fake singing than really singing. Google Idol kind of makes me mad though, because I think if another day had passed, Id have come up with the idea myself and been able to turn it into the money-maker it is likely to become.

I guess my only shot at inter-net fame now would be to submit a video to Google Idol. Now, where'd I put my webcam?

You've already got internet fame. You're the legendary MG for cryin' out loud. You're now bigger than Booker T himself.

by anna at March 2, 2006 7:32 AM

I loved the actions for the Quit Playing Games chorus... meh heh heh heh. Y'know, these two are gonna on be on one o' those The Way they Were shows when they're fully fledged celebrities. The show'll air one or two of these vids, they'll laugh away and spout the usual stuff celebs spout, yes, it will be a sorry future indeed. Or... they'll still be doing this online when they're in their thirties...

... I like the thought of the latter. :) Excellent find MG. Do a music vid, yay, Lockheed can play a supporting mime role.

by Ex Crimson Guard NCO at March 2, 2006 12:31 PM

Yeah, the pantomime is really funny. I don't about where your at, but in the U.S. whenever you have chorus in the early grades you always end up having the kids do weird, over the top gestures to words in songs like sun, walk, love, happy, etc.

by mg at March 2, 2006 11:51 PM

I listened to some incredibly embarrassing music when I was young, too. I'm a year or two older than you MG, right? It didn't help that it was the Eighties then. It was the era of Bananarama and Nelson. But eventually I learned about good music.

Sometimes I roll down the window when I'm driving and play music really loud so people can hear something good. It's a public service.

by jean at March 4, 2006 10:18 PM

Notice that the kid in the background of the Backstreet Boys video doesn't react to the singers because he's playing an MMORPG. That's classic!

by jean at March 4, 2006 10:32 PM

i heard that those girls are actually from bergen county, nj. not the netherlands. it's all a hoax. their dad paid for the production of that entire site.

by eviltom at March 5, 2006 10:50 AM

New Jersey. Definitely New Jersey. Me: Could you tell me how to get to the Atlantic City Parkway? It's right here on the map, see." Toll booth guy: "Dat's fuh people dat go dare."

by anna at March 6, 2006 7:54 AM

@ eviltom Well eviltom, hope you are not disappointed, the girls really come from Holland, check out their site a little closer, you 'll find some clue's

by Dutchman at March 11, 2006 6:55 PM