« Merry Nothing | Main | death is forever »

All I've got is a photograph

by anna at 08:33 AM on December 11, 2005

All we hear about sometimes is how China and Vietnam and Korea have become such high-tech industrialized juggernauts. No more plows being drawn by tired-looking oxen or women taking a break from their ricy paddy toil to birth twins. And yet, whenever the tiresome subject of bird flu comes up on the news they show the same grainy-looking footage of what appears to be roosters milling aimlessly about, pecking at the ground. The video quality is on a par with 80s sitcom reruns or old NFL films. There are, to use techno jargon, too few pixels per sqare inch. It's the antithesis of high def TV.

Although I must say I find the image of crazed Chinese men tearing down some road at 90 kph with cagefulls of squawking old dying chickens on motorbikes fairly amusing.

How fast is 90 kph?

There is a little more to this. Since the imagery we westerners see is so grainy and non-distinct, it makes the whole pandemic debacle thing seem even further away and thus less worthy of any attention.

Why are we the west and they are the far east? Isn't the world round? Couldn't Asians say they're the west and we're the far west? Or east, for that matter?

It was the same way with a debacle that actually happened as the world turned a deaf ear, the massacre in Rwanda. Once again, the available images lacked sufficient pixels so it became easier to shrug it off. Had they had horror movie quality video, maybe somebody would have gotten off their asses and intervened.

Tell me, when you're convicted in the World Kangaroo Court of genocide and extermination, does it really matter that you walked on 8 other counts of crimes against humanity?

So, to paraphrase Sam Kinison's famous "go where the food is, you live in a f-ing desert tirade," if you want to save the world, don't send money. Send camcorders and digcams.

well to answer the question...90 kph is about 55 mph.

by ian at December 11, 2005 10:32 AM

Sorry we can't give you any food. But here's some great cameras for you to capture the carnage. It's be great on the evening news.

by Long Time Lurker at December 11, 2005 12:27 PM

If you ask me GRAINY makes it Scarier... like T-Chainsaw Massacre original...
that's why when the Middle East saw footage of the WTC towers fucking clobbered, they thought it was a Hollywood movie, because it was so damn clear... so they were able to celebrate at the 'excitement' of John Wayne.

by lockheed at December 11, 2005 3:40 PM

Maybe there's something to that. See: the original, low-budget Blair Witch Project. The higher-tech sequel was such a letdown.

Inside joke above: "About" is never enough for Mr. Precision who wants to be a nuclear engineer when he grows up.

And somehow I'm reminded of US troops dropping pork chops and bacon on a Muslim country somewhere.

by anna at December 12, 2005 9:40 AM

Kudos on quoting Def Leppard, anyway.

by Adam at December 16, 2005 2:42 AM

It was either that or Van Halen's "Such good photography."

by anna at December 16, 2005 7:33 AM

Or
I want a doctor to take a picture
So I can look at you from inside as well

by Long Time Lurker at December 17, 2005 2:48 PM

Ugh. I had managed to blot that one out.

by anna at December 19, 2005 7:43 AM

Whatt???? That's only the greatest song to come out of the eithies. I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so. So I take it that you didn't really have the flock of seagulls hair then eh anna? Or have you blotted that out of your mind too?

by Long Time Lurker at December 19, 2005 10:59 AM

If I remembered anything about the 80s I'd probly be dead again.

by anna at December 26, 2005 9:20 AM