« Reading, writing, what good is it? and what to Read anyway? | Main | I was gone but hopefully not forgotten »

mg

people on their way to work say baby what did you expect, gonna burst into flame

by mg at 05:17 PM on August 23, 2005

For the last couple days my ears have been really burning.

There is an old wives’ tale that says if your ears are burning, then someone must be talking about you. There is also an old wife’s tale about how her husband left her for some hot 20 year-old tail.

But old wives' tales, like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Dick Cheney, astronomy, and the “healing” effects of penicillin, are just something I don’t buy into.

Because if the choice is whether my ears are burning because someone has been talking about me, or my ears are burning because it’s August, I just got back vacation, and I kept forgetting to put sunscreen on my ears, well the decision is an easy one.

That is all.

A slightly surreal post MG. In a good way. Hope you had a good vacation...

p.s. I wasn't the one talking about you, if anyone was...

by chuckwoolery at August 23, 2005 6:05 PM

That would be me. Not really, though I did mention you in passing below. I have a friend who is 35. One day she said, "That is just an old wise tale." I figured she just misspoke but it turns out her mom had said wise tale and she picked up on it and has been saying it all her life. Wise tale!

by anna at August 24, 2005 8:41 AM

where did you go on vacation? and do you have any photos?

by Eviltom at August 24, 2005 3:08 PM

Was this surreal?

Tom, you wanted vacation pictures? Here is one of me clearing brush.

by mg at August 25, 2005 6:00 PM

Yo, yo, yo we're keeping it real. At least he isn't zipping around on that stupid speedboa like pops.

by anna at August 26, 2005 7:48 AM

that was NOT you clearing brush. butthole. cmon, show us your vacation pics! did you go to germany? you were at world youth day with pope benedict, weren't you? lucky dog! damn, i really wanted to go. how did you manage to get in?

by Eviltom at August 26, 2005 9:20 AM

Speaking of bursting into fllame ... the average joe, when noticing smoke coming out from under the hood of their vehicle while driving in on the highway, might think that was a bad thing, a sign of perhaps imminent danger. Some others, however, just ignore it, and keep driving. Then, once actual flames and dense smoke start to pour out, and they find it getting a bit HOT inside, then it seems time to finally pull over and think, gee, holy shit, my car is on FIRE.

Some idiot drove along a major expressway yesterday afternoon, in a pick-up truck hauling a load of very flammable shingles, tar paper, wood scraps, and cylinders of propane gas. He was towing a mixer-trailer full of melted tar, which also had very large cylinders of propane attached, as his vehicle was actively on fire.

He did finally pull over and get out and stand clear. The truck was soon fully engulfed. Other idiots stood around looking at the pretty flames, licking away at the rapidly heating cylinders of explosive gases. Doh!

Luckily, nobody was hurt. The truck is now a big heap of charred metal. The expressway was shut down for more than an hour. The heat was so intense it melted the pavement and cracked the concrete wall along the highway, and also burned a sign board along the shoulder.

Ya, that guys ears are burning.

by Officer Wiggam at August 26, 2005 11:47 AM

Damn officer, that's an awesome story. I don't suppose it involved, ya know, folks from...down there?

by anna at August 27, 2005 9:20 AM

Whell doggie! That burneded up real good Yehaw!!!!!

by Long Time Lurker at August 30, 2005 8:47 PM

p.s. lick my poos and open the "i eat poo you eat poo" thread up for comments again... classic stuff

by Disco Jew at September 27, 2005 9:23 PM