« It's so nice to be with you | Main | Reading, writing, what good is it? and what to Read anyway? »

chuck woolery

I've been on a summer holiday, or something

by chuck woolery at 12:12 PM on August 23, 2005

To keep Anna from Jonesing the entire site, and to put up another face to contrast with the fine visage of Leafin, I am attempting to break out of my summer doldrums and get inspired.

My Job is in the process of breaking out of the summer mold. Getting ramped up for the fall season and all that. The Court system up her winds down in the summer to a degree. The superior court takes its summer recess over the months of July and August, and most of the Justices are off Golfing or whatever you do when you make the kind of money they make. Those of us in the trenches fill the time in with trials in the lower court, filling in for people on holidays and try to get a week or two off ourselves. This all changes come the end of summer...

My fall trial season has now started... commenced last week with a 2 day sexual assault trial, and at the end of this week I start a 4 day 1st degree murder preliminary inquiry... lotsa work in the office getting the trial ready to go, co-ordinating with police to make sure witnesses are there etc. A ton of work in prep so that things go smooth when we get to the main act starts.

I have another murder case set for a 4 days in september, but it looks much uglier. The crime itself is more or less as brutal, but the case I have to work with is much less together, much less put togetherable (is that a word... no). Unfortunately I have to work with what I can get and go from there...

All in all I find myself daydreaming looking at the interesting things other people have done with their time in the past while. Anna writing a novel (not for me, I'm not that inspired to write. Obviously.) Leafin talking about her divemaster certification. Neat, been wanting to try scuba for awhile, but haven't made the time.

The next hobby / pasttime for me is getting a private pilot license. Been looking into it for awhile, found a good local pilot school. Now I just need to get past the inertia, cobble together some funds and do it. Doesn't help of course that Avgas, like all petroleum, is through the roof in price. soon... soon...

Hopefully this place will pick up this fall as the weather gets colder and more of us spend more time indoors and in front of the computer.

Unrelated - I keep getting these jury questionaires. Not summons', just questionaires. I've been ignoring them because I don't want to come off as a fine upstanding citizen and therefore get the call in for jury duty, but I also don't want to answer it and therefore piss off someone will then put me on the list. I know your crazy Canadian laws are different, but any advice about what should I do? Anyone?

by mg at August 23, 2005 10:17 PM

MG, you should do what we do when we go to those time-share shakedowns in exchange for a free vacation. Answer it with outlandish replies that would obviously preclude jury duty and in some countries might land you biehind bars.

Chuck I trust you won't be skipping the landing and takeoff lessons like that French guy with too many vowels in his name to type.

by anna at August 24, 2005 8:38 AM

Our Jury system is completely different. We just send people Jury summons and that's it. No questionaires or even questions before or after. Not sure what your obligation is from getting one in the mail.

What do they ask you anyway?

Landing and Takeoff are the crucial lessons. I plan on living through each flight I take.

by chuckwoolery at August 24, 2005 4:26 PM

I'm in the country at the moment, but more than likely, whenever I would get one of those pesky jury duty slips, I can just have my parents call them up and tell them I'm out of the country.

Awesome that you're going to get your pilot's license. I'm happy to finally have a somewhat reasonable response to, "so, do you like have any hobbies?" other than "learning languages and traveling". People can relate to diving. But learning languages as a hobby? C'mon.

by leaffin at August 24, 2005 8:22 PM

I prefer carving sticks, whittling if you will.

by anna at August 25, 2005 7:53 AM

Yeah, the what are your hobbies thing has been an issue for me too. Going through law school really sucks up your spare time, and the hobbies go by the wayside. Used to snowboard a fair amount too, but now where I live is a 3 hour drive to a decent hill. Been doing a lot of work on my house, yard etc but that's not much of a "hobby" per se, and runs out unless you have a huge yard, which I don't.

Have to find a hobby that I can do closer to home (the airport is a 20 minute drive from my house...)

by chuckwoolery at August 25, 2005 12:58 PM

Have you tried excessive masterbation?
It's a fun hobby.

by Long Time Lurker at August 25, 2005 9:09 PM

What is excessive, more than once an hour?

by anna at August 27, 2005 9:21 AM

Ah, you funny Canadians with your tenuous grasp of American slang. Jones is a verb that connotes an intense dsire, like a junkie' for heroin. To bogart is to hog, as a joint.

by anna at August 27, 2005 9:55 AM

Ah, tenuous grasp of slang... yes. I confused it with the Bogart term. Me and my staright laced prosecutor lifestyle, you with your drug addled past. I'm sure the druggies I prosecute wouldn't have made that mistake, but I just don't have the history and immersion into the culture to get all the references right.

LTL - been there done that, now down to an occasional hobby.

by chuckwoolery at August 29, 2005 11:25 AM