« hibernating until mr. perfect arrives | Main | I have finally found a place to live, in the color of the Lords »

mg

bad news: teens say 'free speech, no big deal'

by mg at 01:36 PM on February 03, 2005

It turns out the First Amendment is a second-rate issue to many teenagers and adolescents, according to a study of high school attitudes released Monday. The way many high school students see it, government censorship of newspapers may not be a bad thing, and flag burning is hardly protected free speech.

The study points to the continual decreasing budget for high school journalism and school media as causes for the apathy about the importance of the First Amendment. However, the indifference students show towards the First Amendment can also be seen in other areas that had also previously been taken for granted as staples of life and society.

When asked, high school students also thought the 13th amendment was “no big deal.” The 13th Amendment to the Constitution abolished slavery and involuntary servitude, and was the beginning of the equal rights movement that continues to strive for equality in the United States even today. “If my mom can make me wash the dishes and clean my own laundry,” asked one 17 year-old student in Birmingham, Alabama, “why can’t she by slaves and make them pick cotton? It sure make my life easier.”

This lack of interest doesn’t just apply to history and civics, but can also be seen in the sciences. “So this Fig Newton guy came up with this ‘Universal Law of Gravitation’” said a 16 year-old from Provo, Utah, “what does gravity have to do with my day-to-day life?” “And seriously,” added another student, “I hear there is almost no gravity on the moon. Why can’t we get that going on down here? How cool would it be to be able to lift up a car with one hand?”

The teenage ennui surrounding physics is also apparent in the biological sciences. “You can’t tell me I need oxygen to breath. From now on I’m breathing nothing but helium,” said one high-pitched 17 year-old. “I saw in a TV commercial that the body is 70% water,” said one 15 year-old, who claims his body is 30% water and 40% Mountain Dew. “Do the Dew!” he added.

I would have no clue what the 13th or 2nd or any amendments are, because I tip my hat to the new constitution... constipated.

by LOCKHEED at February 3, 2005 5:30 PM

It's just as well. John Ashcroft and he Patriot Act thugs are busily trampling all our civil rights anyway. Courts keep ruling that W can't just tag you as an enemy combatant and throw you into a legal black hole forever. Ashcroft keeps appealing, while Jose Padilla remains in said hole. It'll be different though once Mr. Torture takes over as AG.

by Anna at February 3, 2005 6:13 PM

You hear about the British Red Cross? Apparently the Red Cross is offensive to Muslims so they're changing it... To a diamond! Don't be surprised if soon the flag of alliance flying next to the star spangled banner is the Union flag missing its Cross of St George but sporting a sweet little diamond.

Weird you should mention slavery, I was watching Roots, with a very young Jeordie(sp?) Le Forge in it tuther day... And I said: "Would be nice to have slaves though, eh?" My friend looked at me as if I'd just gutted a small child with a machete and cast entrails across the room. I'm sticking to my guns though, "Cunt'oh Kint'er, go and fetch my slippers, there's a good chap." Would be nice.

by Ex Crimson Guard NCO at February 4, 2005 11:11 AM

I see problems with the state of the physical education programs. While going through elementary school, PE was a class we only got to have once a week. I remember going outside and running around liek a little savage yelling and screaming. And then we moved onto high school. Here many of the courses are mandatory, and some are optional. In a four year stint I was to take 5 english classes, 3 math classes, 3 science classes, yet only one PE. And it wasnt until third and fourth years that we stopped the aimless running around and began to learn about our bodies and how to properly take of them, how to do excercises and stretch properly so we didn't get hurt.

I always excelled at sports so i was inclined to stick with the program. But what about those who weren't? They got lower grades just because they couldn't hit a ball as far, or kick nearly as accurately, or run as fast. It seems backwards to me. We should learn the basics about our bodies in elementary school, and then later get graded on how well we apply this, and when the application begins, thats when we should allowed to drop the classes.

And we wonder why we are so fat in our society today. We can continue to blame it on McDonalds but when it comes down to it if we understand one burger a week won't kill us, especially when we run one lap a week to fight the calorie overload.

It's sad to think that if MG is right about the degradation of the mental education, and I am right about the lack of a physical need that our children are so screwed. And it really makes me wonder, what are they teaching us in school?

by dominathan at February 4, 2005 1:25 PM

Blow jobs.

by anna at February 4, 2005 6:32 PM

I think it's a deliberate effort by religious extremist to continuously erode the public school system to drive people into religious private schools. I have a friend who's affraid to send her child to public school when she's of school age. She's only considering private schooling in fact. Of course, the only private schools available are religious, even here in California. Doesn't help that she believes myths in the bible and wants those reinforced over reality in the teaching of her child.

by fcsuper at February 4, 2005 7:45 PM

I certainly did not learn how to give them in school... but college does seem to provide ample chances to get them.

once again Anna you have enlightened me.

by dominathan at February 4, 2005 10:35 PM

Happy to be of....service. I think. FC it's funny you'd mention the religious private schools. In 9th grade the gals of the K-8 Catholic school had little choice but to attend public HS in my hood. I am telling you, in comparison to the public school gals we'd known to date, these girls were advanced vixens. Don't let the cutesy uniforms deceive you.

by Anna at February 5, 2005 8:06 AM

They have a Skool Dayz night at the Lexington Avenue club here and when I see a tanned, full bodied twenty-something bird wearing a full Catholic school uniform, short skirt, knee high socks, blazer 'n' all, I just gotta go over and write my number on her virgin white shirt with a big black magic marker. (I buy ‘three packs’ of cheap white shirts that are virtually transparent the material is so thin, clean fresh one for whenever I go, after having just one expensive white shirt ruined by permanent markers I learned my lesson.) When they tie the shirt up at the front into a big knot to expose a nice flat belly while still wearing the blazer... Man... I thank God for the Pope and Catholics in the only way my body knows how, by gawping with my tongue hanging out as my brain calculates possible guilt oriented chat up lines.

Kudos to the Catholics for creating that pure image. *does the Homer drool*

by Ex Crimson Guard NCO at February 5, 2005 8:52 AM

I went to a Christian school when i was a kid (K-8). Looking back it was a good experience and I'm glad i did. Maybe its just the slight difference in religions, but i really was sheltered and had a certain naivity about the world around me until i entered high school. OUr school girls were actually innocent and leaving grdae 8 im not sure many of us really thought sex was something to partake in soon. I was bitter through my teens, but now I am greatful.

by dominathan at February 5, 2005 10:24 AM

One of them would actually don her old uniform and then do a guy. Whew.

by Anna at February 5, 2005 1:01 PM

Her: I've got crotchless panties on under here. *smooths skirt* Me: Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? *kicks self in the nuts*

by Anna at February 5, 2005 2:23 PM

I like that... I am literally trying to kick myself in the nuts and it isn't working. That is as impressive as the midget kicking himself in the head on Jackass.

by dominathan at February 5, 2005 5:29 PM

Tricky, isnt't it?

by Anna at February 5, 2005 9:41 PM

Now try to touch your elbow to your chin. Do the hokey-pokey.

by Anna at February 6, 2005 8:26 AM

Free speech bad. Censorship, controlled press, and a sea of propoganda GOOD.

People should be accountable for what they say, and say things cause they have to(talking is useless), not because they can.

by Clonereject1138 at October 17, 2005 4:57 PM