« my words are not so clear, but there's romance in the air | Main | All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted »

ezy

We spotted the ocean, from the head of the trail

by ezy at 03:07 PM on September 16, 2004

Well, Amy and I have made it. This coming weekend is when we were going to have a wedding, until we decided eloping was the way to go. That means we get to take a small honeymoon until we can set up the big one to Ireland. So, weíll be heading to the Outer Banks, in NC, for a week of sex, sex, and more sex! Wait, Iím sure there will be more than just sex going on (eating maybe?) but I am a guy and thatís what I do; I think about sex. The only thing that has me just a bit worried is the barrage of hurricanes and other tropical storms assaulting the US. What the hell is going on? Is the end coming and I didnít get the memo? Did Dubya piss God off trying to conquer the world? Does this seem like more inclement weather than we've had in recent years or is it just me? All valid questions I think. Questions aside, I am a bit worried that this crap is going to ruin the first vacation I have had in seven years and it just happens to be part of my honeymoon. I know, wah wah, cry me a river. There are people getting their homes wiped from the face of the earth and others losing their lives but damn, I want a vacation. When Amy and I planned this outing ďhurricane seasonĒ never crossed our minds. Maybe thatís because we donít have to brave too many of them this far inland. Iím not too worried about Ivan. That oneís path looks to be heading through Tennessee, Western Virginia and such but Jeanne is another story altogether. The projected path of this vacation killer puts it right off the Atlantic coast of Florida by Tuesday. Thatís usually a bad omen for the coast of the Carolinas. Oh well, we have a three level beach house on stilts and if the bastard comes calling then it might run into hurricane Rob. My projected path will be from the hot tub to the master bedroom skirting the coast of the refrigerator. Iíll probably be a category five by the time I make landfall on Amyís southern coast. Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Stock up on everything first. Don't go out at all. I was just there. Sure it's beautiful and all, but that place is a freaking police state. Now that all the tourists are gone those mirrored sunglasses, wide brim cop hat wearing rednecks are probably bored. Wouldn't put it past them to plant something on you. Not that they'd have to.

by anna at September 16, 2004 5:46 PM

I've always wondered why people build expensive houses on the Outer Banks. They are barrier islands, constanly changing. They seem to be sand castles for the rich and when the tide comes rolling in, they want the government to help pay for the damage. I live in SC on the coast and some people pay property taxes on land that is currently under water because they think that one day it will be ocean front property.

by Anna II at September 16, 2004 9:21 PM

Ew. Hetero sex. Ew.

;)

by snaggle at September 16, 2004 10:16 PM

Hmm, do I hear a Scorpions song somewhere?

It's wierd to hear your name on the news because of a hurricane.

by jean at September 17, 2004 12:08 AM

Jean I think you're still a tropical storm. Or a tropical depression. Tht last term always stuck me an oxymoron. How can you be depressed in the tropics?

by anna at September 17, 2004 7:41 AM

Yea Anna, my friend, who owns the house, let us in on the Buford T Justice situation there. I'll be hiding my stash very carefully and Amy and I will be shopping, sober, for the week so no midnight runs to the Quicky Mart have to happen. Let's hope it works.

Anna II, I don't get it either. I think they do it just because they can. I don't know though; if I had that kind of cash I might build a ski lodge. Avalanches are less likely to take out a house, I think. Hurricane season happens every year. You're more or less playing roulette. I'd just rent someone elses fat crib if I wanted some ocean time. Let them take the risk.

I could take some candid photos for you Snaggle. I'm sure that that would brighten your day. I'll get Amy to take some of me posing in the buff with an ocean backdrop......wait, I don't want to make you vomit. Scratch that.

Jean, yes you do, yes you do. On another note, you have been upgraded to hurricane last time I checked TWC. Goooooooooo Jean!!

by Ezy at September 17, 2004 10:04 AM

The damn hurricane is here now. I just saw a little tornado. They aren't as impressive as on the home videos on the news. Noisy though.

by anna at September 17, 2004 6:58 PM

Woohoo!! :D

Anna, do you have this problem with Ian? I tried to explain a Scorpions video to my youngest sister, who's 18. It went something like "Yes, it has a science fiction theme. Yes, that is a spaceship. Those are scantily clad heavy metal babes. I don't know what heavy metal has to do with sci fi." Then she said, "The Eighties were STRANGE."

Although I did later have the pleasure of pointing out that Britney Spears's "Toxic" video has a spaceship theme as well. And scanty cladding, but that's a given.

by jean at September 18, 2004 12:54 AM

No, Ian is more focused on trying to read deep meaning into lyrics. I've explained how even Bob Dylan has said repeatedly that he was just looking for words that rhymed and fit the meter. The boy isn't buying it.

by anna at September 18, 2004 9:11 AM

Anna, amy and I watched the tornado that went tthrough Dulles airport and did damage to AOL from our deck. We saw transformers blowing ans everything. Pretty cool shit. I also found out my wife is as crazy as I am. It was her idea to go to the fourth floor to see it better. Sweet!

by Ezy at September 18, 2004 9:39 AM

Jean, the 80s were kind of weird. They were one hell of a good time though. I think you had to live the 80s to love them. I actually bought the Time Magazine 80s collection. It rocks. Mostly New Wave. I didn't really get into all of the hair bands. I was too busy attending Dead shows to score drugs.

by Ezy at September 18, 2004 9:48 AM

Ezy, I guess they were. I guess it was just my pride that caused me to deny it. I only caught half the Eighties, because I was only five when they started. What was up with a decade where it was cool for women to buzz cut their hair, wear big slashes of red blush on their cheeks, and put shoulder pads in their jackets that made them look like football players? Something was up.

by jean at September 18, 2004 11:11 PM

Myself I identified more with the 70s. What I remember most about the 80s is various younger girlfriends trying to get me to wear new wave clothes and do things (like putting on mascara) that I just knew were silly. All the cocaine in the world doesn't make you blind.

by anna at September 19, 2004 4:42 PM

Amen Anna. "Snow blind" is not correct in the most literal sense.

I was ten when the 80s started Jean. I guess I "came of age" during the 80s. The fashion, or lack of, in the 80s escaped me. The only truly 80s items of clothing I ever owned were a Member's Only jacket and a a couple of pairs of suede Puma tennis shoes. They were fresh ;-) Other than that it was jeans and a tee shirt or tie die. Exciting huh?

by Ezy at September 27, 2004 12:29 PM