« As we seek so shall we find | Main | We spotted the ocean, from the head of the trail »

mg

my words are not so clear, but there's romance in the air

by mg at 11:33 PM on September 15, 2004

A while back I suggested the start of a Bad Samaritan CD Exchange. People seemed to really like the idea. And then I asked them to do something about it, and only the hard core bothered showing up.

Well, the exchange is now in its fourth month. There are 15 lovely people involved, and so far I’ve received 6 CDs full of almost totally new-to-me music. These CDs have all been great. In fact, each time I get a new one I think, “This is the best mix CD I have ever heard, nothing could be better.” And then, a couple weeks later a new CD shows up in the mail and I think, “No, this is the best mix CD I have ever heard. Those ones I got last month were crap. How could I ever have liked them?”

My turn is coming up in November October, and I already have my idea for the theme – “Man vs. Machine.” That, or “Piano Rock.” Or maybe “Story Songs” (like the infomercial). Either way, my mix CD is going to blow the crap out of all the mix CDs that have ever been made before. This mix CD I’m putting together will stand so far above the rest, that this CD exchange is going to end afterwards, because no one believes they could ever match up, so why bother trying?

So, if you want to join up on this thing before it all falls to crap, send me an email. The way things stand now the most you’d have to do is one CD every 8 months, and send it to a dozen or so people. I’ve got a three-month old child and I still manage to find time to work on this mix CD (mainly because I don’t help around the house or change diapers), so you should have no trouble finding time in your sad little life for working on this.

Email me if you are interested in participating. You know how to email, don’t you? Just put your lips together and blow. Oh, wait, that’s something else.

You have six? I don't think I've gotten six. Can we have a page that lists the CDs and tracks? Maybe include scans of the packaging? I'd be up to creating that.

by MrBlank at September 16, 2004 10:06 AM

HA!............HA, HA, HA!! My mix CD is so going to kick your mix CD's ass. Mine has been in training since, like, July or something. Prepare to feel the wrath!!

Seriously though, I listen to quite a bit of alternative mainstream so my CD will probably be the most boring one on the planet. It'll be eclectic and great for road tripping though. I do have some obscure bands up my sleeve, just not a CD full of them.

by Ezy at September 16, 2004 10:12 AM

No need to worry if you are too mainstream or too obscure. I just want to hear a collection of songs you love. I love how different each CD is. We are quite a diverse bunch!

I've only gotten five: from Andy, Jean, Capital J, Lajoie and Rebekah. Has anyone else sent one?

by Linz at September 16, 2004 11:24 AM

opinion poll: I have a song I really want to include but the second half of its ten-minute track is just annoying noise... I have made a practice mix for my car, and I always skip the second half... do you guys think that would be okay to include? The first five minutes are SO GOOD.

by Linz at September 16, 2004 11:31 AM

Linz, find a way to cut it. It shouldn't be too hard. Do you use iTunes?

by MrBlank at September 16, 2004 12:45 PM

My mixed CD is in the mail to everyone. Look for it soon. I tried to do something a little different than the norm. Let me know what you think.

by MrBlank at September 16, 2004 2:32 PM

Wah. I wanna play. I sent you my new home address. My stuff is old but man is it obscure. My wife has toiled a lifetime finding some of it. Thank God for EBay.

by anna at September 16, 2004 5:43 PM

I've only gotten five. Damn mail takes forever to reach me now-a-days. I tell you guys, the people at the post office are up to something.

Linz, I wouldn't mind you adding that track on to the CD even if I had to skip the last 10 minutes.

I won't make any comments on the CD I'm putting together. Like I said at the beginning, it won't be obscure but at the same time it won't be a Top 40 thing either. Just hope you guys like it.

by Lucy at September 16, 2004 11:08 PM

I have windows media player, that's it, Mr. B. Is there a way to cut in that? I'll investigate, but if not, you may be stuck with the arduous task of hitting "next"

by Linz at September 17, 2004 3:02 PM

Just put it at the end Linz and we'll just have to deal with it. No biggie.

by Ezy at September 17, 2004 3:44 PM

Friends and Infidels,

SUCK ME!

- Osama

by Osama at September 17, 2004 6:20 PM

Yes, it's going fabulously, isn't it? I think every Cd I've received thus far includes a couple of bands I'd been thinking about using, a couple of songs I love but hadn't thought of in years, and a ton of totally new awesome stuff.
I hope that there will be a few Cds with songs by you people and your bands on them (thanks, Ezy).
Senor Blank, I hope you got your replacement, and yes, I totally support your creating such a page.
Now, most importantly, I have received a number of compliments on my choices but noone has said anything about the Modern Lovers song! If not one of you ran out to buy a full album, well then I feel like I've failed in a very important task. Can you please listen again? Seek them out and find more of their songs and love them!
um, and what's with Osama?

by Rebekah at September 19, 2004 3:48 AM

PS Their(the Modern Lovers') drummer became the drummer for Talking Heads and the lead-vocals guy Jonathom Richman is a minor deity.

by Rebekah at September 19, 2004 4:05 AM

I mean 'keyboardist' and 'Jonathon'.

by Rebekah at September 19, 2004 4:07 AM

I have only gotten 2 cd's but they both rock!!!

by KitKat at September 20, 2004 5:27 PM

Rebekah, He just shows up every once in awhile, make a comment post like that and disappears for a couple/ few more months. not to worry, it's hard to run an airplane into a website.

I liked your CD by the way.

by chuck woolery at September 21, 2004 9:35 AM

I still don't see my name on the schedule. Perhaps I'm destined to freeload off of those who got a slot...

by chuck woolery at September 21, 2004 9:36 AM

I got a replacement, Rebekah. Thanks!

I'll try and get around to taking photos of all the mixes and posting them with a tracklisting. Sounds fun. Also, I find out if I'm missing one :)

by MrBlank at September 23, 2004 5:39 PM

katie,
i'm sorry i forgot! but i am mailing your cd out monday! its a good thing you posted because its been sitting here for weeks all ready to go.

mr blank,
parkeharrison is one of my most favourite. ever. and for the rest of my life i will want only red cds.

rebekah,
despite my like of the modern lovers, i am forced to ask if the 7 year old has any albums out. i really can't get enough of that song or frisbees.

love,