« It's laughter and it's loving I disdain | Main | Amy, what you gonna do? »

ezy

The Winds of Change Are Blowing

by ezy at 02:16 PM on May 19, 2004

Amy and I made it to Missouri and back in one piece. Well, almost in one piece. I had a four wheel ATV incident that Iíll tell you about in a minute. I met her family and they were all good, simple, Midwestern people. They are a lot like my family which made things much easier. All of them seemed to like me too which was a big bonus. We arrived at the Kansas City airport on Thursday of last week. Amyís aunt and her best friend picked us up. Let me tell you, that ride was something else. Amy and I had been drinking at the airport bar in Cincinnati and on the plane. Aunt Nancyís friend, who was driving, was popping pills. The woman is a walking pharmacy. I looked in her eyes and saw no-one home. I just put on my seatbelt and laughed the entire way. Well, I had to screw with her some because I was drunk and she was high. I canít believe they put a drunk and a person high on pills in the front seat together. Well they did and we had a blast. We went to the bar where her cousin works and had a few more drinks. We were tired from the travel so we went to her auntís house and hung out together.

The next day we went to visit her grandparents, from Omaha, in their hotel. We got there then decided to go to the hotel bar. The bar wasnít open so we started making plane to go to another. The manager then said we looked honest, let us in the bar, and let us keep up with our drinks on the honor system. Huh?! I was amazed. That shit wouldíve never happened in the D.C. area. Well, I got to tend bar and didnít do too badly, if I do say so myself. Her grandparents are amazing people. Her grandpa was in WWII and fought the Japanese in the South Pacific. Since we both were in the service, for a time, we hit it off really well. He was a Marine though so I had fun calling him a jar-head and telling some Marine jokes. He was also a welterweight champion boxer in Baltimore in the 1940s. I was very impressed with the man and the things he had accomplished. Amyís grandma is one of the sweetest women I have ever met. Sheís the kind of woman that makes you just want to hug them. Well, we finished our visit and stood to leave. Grandpa was tanked. I ended up holding him up while we walked them to their room. Talk about bonding.

The day before we left we went to visit Amyís Cousin Pam and her fiancť Bill. I had met them before and they are great people. We had a few shots with them the Bill suggested we ride the ATVs. We both had pretty good buzzes going so I knew it was going to be interesting. They live on a huge farm so we rode all over that. I took a corner too fast and was thrown off. I hopped back on and right in front of me was a beautiful jump. I donít ride these things all the time so what made me think I could make it leave the ground and land safely Iíll never know. Well, I gunned the ATV and took the jump. I came off the jump and was about eight feet in the air when I realized the ATV was coming back on me. I did the only thing I could think of, at the time, and let go. I flipped off the back and landed in a heap. I have bruises on my ass and half way up my back. The women watched the entire thing and got quite a kick out of my dumb ass. That crap hurt.

All in all it was a great trip and I love her people. Amy and I also decided something else while we were there. Weíre getting MARRIED!! We set the date, September 18th, and everything. I canít tell you guys how excited I am to be able to marry this wonderful woman. I definitely donít deserve her but sheís going to go through with it anyway. Sometimes life seems too good to be true. Amen.

Congrats, Ezy! Glad to see you found a woman that makes you happy!

So, were you waiting to see if you like her fam before popping the question? ;) Sounds like you had a fabulous time with them.

by Leaffin at May 19, 2004 2:24 PM

Nah Leaffin, her family could've been flaming assholes and it wouldn't have made a difference. Amy wanted to just get married at the JOP but I knew my family would kill me if they weren't involved in some way. I hoped her family felt the same, which they did, so now we get to have a wedding. I really just wanted her to have one special day she could look back on down the road. I think we would've regretted not having a wedding. It's not going to be traditional at all but we still get to stand in front of both our families and vow ourselves to each other. I think that'll be nice.

by Ezy at May 19, 2004 2:54 PM

Congratulations big guy.

You just made my day.

And when Amy's parents hold the first baby, asking where it got such a full and beautiful, blonde flavor saver, you can say "That's daddy's little girl!"

by lajoie at May 19, 2004 3:16 PM

Thanks Lajo. I just hope she gets her Mom's looks. Seriously though, we've talked about it and we're not sure we want kid(s). We're both a little set in our ways and your life is over when you have kids. It might be different if we had met and married in our twenties. We want as much time, selfishly, with just us two as we can get. Plus, we would have the freaking anti-christ. Both of our personalities rolled into one person? Not a good idea.
The kid would have horns, I shit you not.

by Ezy at May 19, 2004 3:40 PM

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT!
Congrats congrats congrats!!!!!!

I am SO happy for you!!

by Linz at May 19, 2004 4:29 PM

Me too!!! I have never been this happy. Just when I was ready to give up, this happens. I'm glad I stuck it out in the beginning. I knew she was worth it but it was still tough. I think I could see things in her that she couldn't even see. I'm just glad everything worked out this way. God, I'm going to be someone's husband. Well, there goes the strip clubs ;-)

by Ezy at May 19, 2004 4:46 PM

That's great. You guys will do fine. As for your little mishap, I note it occured in front of the womenfolk. Almost all my stunt-related injuries and embarassments have happened under those circumstances. The ATV careening into the lake, having the sailboat towed back from the open seas by the Coast Guard, skidding the motorcycle across a crowded intersection, all of it.

*wedding bells ring in the background*

by anna at May 19, 2004 6:37 PM

Thanks Anna. I appreciate it. I think we'll do fine too. Well, better than fine I hope. If that damn lottery ticket would just hit.

Isn't it funny that most of your embarrasing moments in life happen in front of the womenfolk? Wiping out in front of other guys, no problem. Women don't forget as easily.

by Ezy at May 19, 2004 7:17 PM

Like male peacocks spreading our plumes before a raging bonfire, we're just showing off for the ladies. Something bad is bound to happen.

by anna at May 20, 2004 7:49 AM

I've thought about that Anna. I believe I'm just insane. I'm an adrenaline junky. I see things like that jump and can't resist. I guess that is the same reason I decided to jump out of perfectly good airplanes in the service. I couldn't help myself. I do pay for it though. My knees are pretty much shot and I'm only 34. The golden years are going to be painful I think.

by Ezy at May 20, 2004 10:53 AM

holy shit!!! congrats! and nice choice of date...sept 18th is the day my wife and i are having our second wedding. (since we had the first on short notice w/ just immediate family, we're having a second to include extended family and our friends.) all the best to you and the (soon to be) mrs!

by JC at May 20, 2004 11:16 AM

Thanks JC!! I'm pretty happy and excited about it. That's cool that we're both going to be having weddings on the same day albeit yours is for the second time. Congrats back at ya.

by Ezy at May 20, 2004 12:13 PM

Holy crap. Congrats! We've got to be the marryingist bunch of bloggers in the world. When's the big date for you Linz? And hey, now that things have changed in Massachusetts maybe Eviltom will finally tie the knot.

by mg at May 20, 2004 2:13 PM

Mg, let's not jump the gun here... he still hasn't realized I'm crazy yet.

by Linz at May 20, 2004 4:40 PM

Thanks MG. We are a bunch of marrying mofos around here. Won't the Evil One have to become a Massachusetts resident? I hear they're nullifying the out of state marriage licences.

You're next Linz. I'm sure he knows exactly how crazy you are by now and just doesn't care.

by Ezy at May 20, 2004 5:06 PM

That's all well and good but I once read that Liz Taylor refused to have sex with anyone unless they were married. So she married everyone she wanted to fuck.

by anna at May 20, 2004 6:22 PM

She's been married like sixty times, right? Hell, back in the day I would've married her for a shot. Before it got out of hand mind you.

by Ezy at May 20, 2004 6:34 PM

See her circa Cleopatra. That's why you carry around an engagement ring just in case.

by anna at May 20, 2004 10:23 PM

Congratulations, Ezy!

I'm not getting married anytime soon, mg, but I'm having a good time with my lady friend I talked about before. She doesn't sleep in the guest room anymore. ;)

by MrBlank at May 21, 2004 9:03 AM

*heart-broken*

Congrats. ;)

by Jen at May 21, 2004 9:52 AM

Thanks MrB. That's good about your lady friend. One step closer to the knot.

Jen, we could convert to Latter Day Saints and all three of us could get hitched! Nah, on second thought, Amy keeps me busy enough. Between the two of you I'd never get any sleep ;-) Seriously though, thanks for the congrats. This has been a long time coming and I'm very excited. I can't believe someone actually wants to marry my dumb ass. Will wonders never cease?

by Ezy at May 21, 2004 10:07 AM

Congratulations Ezy!!!! This is so great! I'm so happy for you!

(Sorry for the late response... I was out of town!)

by jean at May 27, 2004 1:47 AM

Thank you Jean. It's been a long time coming. I thought I was going to be alone then here she comes. I'm a lucky man.

by Ezy at May 27, 2004 8:56 AM