« What the world is coming to | Main | Music to drown yourself by »

adam

Let's Not Talk About Sex

by adam at 11:59 AM on May 16, 2004

I read this article about Rebecca St. James, and I didn't know whether to laugh or be mad. I flipped a coin, and I'm going for mad. This is just another example of dogma over good sense - the abstinence movement's main dividends have been a loss of sanity in sex education in this country and encouraging unhealthy attitudes about sex among the youth. We're the same way about alcohol and drugs, and that doesn't work either; we tell kids, "Just don't do it!" and they stick to it right up until their first serious temptation, when they end up sucking dick on camera on Bourbon St. during Mardi Gras.

I think what's worse is that it's almost impossible to fight back against this kind of thing. Here's a group of religious fanatics running around encouraging young people to supress their needs, to not explore, and to refuse their own bodies, and what can I say? "No kids, don't listen to them, have as much sex as you want when you're ready to?" In a country where a government official was fired for having the temerity to suggest that masturbation was a pretty normal thing? These people don't just expect no pre-marital sex, apparently, but no nothing, and that's dangerous - if you don't allow people to express their sexual desires in some fashion, they divert that energy to other unhealthy pursuits, like violence, breakdancing, or football.

The best line from the article:
"I've got a lot of mainstream media attention even in countries like Norway that are not known necessarily for their morality. It's such a counter-culture message they are fascinated about it."

Miss St. James, you are a twat. The Norweigians are a peaceful people who are known the world over for mediating international conflicts and solving them. They have little to no crime at home, they get along with their neighbors, and you suggest that they're not known for their morality because their women are capable of having orgasms? Eat it, Becky. (Seriously. Give it a shot. You might like it.)

I find Britney to be the most unsexy human being on the planet. I guess it's because I've heard her open her mouth. Jessica Simpson plays dumb, Britney is dumb. And not to nitpick but football isn't unhealthy unless you're like, Terrell Owens dictating what team he's willing to play for.

by anna at May 17, 2004 7:50 AM

Whoa.

I've been gone for a little over a week and come back to find a new author! Yippie!

Welcome aboard Adam. You'll eclipse my posting total in no time if you keep up the blistering pace. Next, all you have to do is catch Anna...

In lieu of convincing a christian rightist to, as we say in the States, "suck it," i'd just be happier to see her look at the gross (defined multiple ways) statistics supporting sex education. It's a fact that sex ed has greatly reduced the levels of teen pregnancy in the US since it became institutionalized.

The problem is not ideals, but reality. What's an under-educated, religiously fanatical, sexual idealist to do when caught in the increasingly popular situation one finds oneself in during high school or college where that person is both hot (oh my!) and bothered (gasp!) and decides it would be ok to just bend the rules for one night? They have a little sex, justify it away by rationalizing the fact that maybe they never came inside their partner (or were cum inside of), or maybe it was just a blow job, or even as one comedic show once put it "But it was only in the butt!".

The sad thing is, while this is still the age of technology and information, I hear that the standard bedside bible can smash a computer in under ten seconds. If weilded correctly.

by lajoie at May 17, 2004 4:05 PM

Who is this new guy? Are we getting an introduction? >:|

by MrBlank at May 17, 2004 5:49 PM

No! No introductions! Nevar!

by adam at May 17, 2004 5:59 PM

He's nobody new. He's been one of our most cogent commentators for some time now, I think.

by anna at May 17, 2004 8:48 PM

More:
Am I the only one who's surprised by those infection rates broken down by race? WTF?

by adam at May 18, 2004 12:22 AM

Personally, I support Rebecca for what she said. She is really sincere, and in this day and age, it takes a lot of guts to stand for purity, as she has done on numerous occasions. What's more, I enjoy her music. The world needs more positive role models like her. Bravo, Rebecca!

by Neo at November 30, 2004 5:53 PM