« Unamerican | Main | of course, i've had it in the ear before »

adam

Government by Nuisance, Government by Extortion

by adam at 02:41 PM on May 25, 2004

Ok kids, here are my proposals for a new Constitutional amendment. These are based on a drive I took through Manhattan, when I observed cops doing things I couldn't understand and tickets being issued for things whose illegality I couldn't grasp.

Proposal:
I - No law shall be established if its main purpose is the collection of fines when the law is broken.

II - The government shall, if challenged in a court of law, be required to explain the reasoning behind the law which it seeks to enforce. If no reason for the existance of the law can be found, the law shall be rendered null and void.

Whee!

Sounds reasonable to me. What were the tickets in Manhattan being issued for?

by Leaffin at May 25, 2004 2:46 PM

Let me guess, Adam, you received the ticket? It's criminals like you who make me sick. Maybe you have that mental disease where you don't know right from wrong? Try using that one in court, just make sure you aren't up against that guy from Law and Order, he always wins.

by mg at May 25, 2004 3:04 PM

No, Mr. Indiana Pants, I didn't get a ticket. I am unticketed. What I DID see was cops giving tickets to a UPS Delivery truck (under a sign marked, "No Standing Except for Trucks Making Deliveries") and a car full of girls from Connecticut who got a ticket for a traffic offense that the cops themselves helped to arrange. Great job guys, four people who probably had a nice weekend in the city but will now forever remember the craptastic $300 ticket they got right before they made it to the Lincoln Tunnel. Think they'll come back for another visit any time soon?

by Adam at May 25, 2004 3:12 PM

I wonder if the cops get kick-backs from Parkingtickets.com?

by mg at May 25, 2004 3:24 PM

There was a cop here who'd hang around outside bars at closing time. He led all cops in DWI arrests. But oddly, almost all his collars were guys. The girls, he'd let them give him head and then let 'em off. The unfairness of it all!

by anna at May 26, 2004 7:43 AM

he probably would have let you off too, anna...all you had to do was take the special breathalyzer test like the womenfolk!

by JC at May 26, 2004 12:32 PM

Facing 6 months in jail, don't think it didn't occur to me.

by anna at May 26, 2004 6:26 PM

I'd vote for that amendment. Those of you who know Iowa State University and Ames, Iowa know the Parking Nazis. Most streets in the city have alternate side parking - as in, you have to move your car every single day. What fun. I used to make out my (many) parking tickets to "Ames Parking Nazis." Combine that with the fact that the university police somehow couldn't respond to real calls within an hour but they could always get people for OWI or parking illegally within minutes of the transgression...

by snaggle at May 26, 2004 9:57 PM