« Smoking in the boysroom | Main | i'm sorry, but i'm not sorry »

A fine mess we've gotten ourselves into

by anna at 08:12 AM on April 28, 2004

I feel like I am on MG's 404 page. You know the one you wind up at if you key in the wrong URL for MT? It says, "You're not supposed to be here. I don't know how you got here..."

See, today was supposed to be the dreaded Moving Day. Which, as bad days go, may be second only to Root Canal Day or Execution Day. We were told to get our stuff out of our abode, put it in storage and then move into the new place after coinciding settlements tomorrow. We had movers ready to move the heavy stuff and a UHaul rented for myriad boxes of stuff. We have 2 wine glasses, paper plates and cups and leftover takeout food in the fridge. We sit on the boxes to eat.

Yes, we held up our end of the bargain for once.

So I get home last night only to learn that purchasers of our house have had a "hiccup" with their financing. This is real estate jargon for "their loan fell through." Which means we're basically living in limbo. As of 5/3/04 our utilities will be cut off. We don't know if they have picked them up or not. Same goes for our homeowner's insurance. With any luck at all we won't wind up homeless. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Anyway, I am tying up the phone lines. Our realtors are probably trying to call with more disastrous news. Our lender may be calling with a convoluted loan proposal that entails us owning both properties and going back to square one, with more competent realotrs and lenders. Or else we could wait it out with those risky homelessness or uninsured fire risks looming large. What should we do?

I realize this is one of those things people sometimes tell you that you can't think of any rejoinder to. Like, "I've got to go feed my hostages" or "My genital warts haven't flared up in months."

I just moved and don't plan on doing it again for a long time. It sucks. I was without broadband internet for 24 hours. It was awful. Now I have a cable modem that is much faster than my old DSL connection. Because of the move and my super busy state at work, I haven't been hanging around BS much.

The only thing I can suggest to you to keep this crap from happening is to have an overlap. Technically own both the old house and new house at the same time for a month and then you don't have to worry about being homeless. My last move, I was homeless for 24 hours. I didnít like that very much. This recent move, I had a month to do it. Rent overlapped, but it was worth it. No stress.

by MrBlank at April 28, 2004 11:56 AM

To clarify:

Paragraph 1 - sarcasm
Paragraph 2 - not sarcasm, but probably impossible, unless you are filthy rich, when working with real-estate

by MrBlank at April 28, 2004 12:00 PM

God, Anna.. you have just described a mess that I see frequently at my job at a title insurance company. High stress job with people calling in pissed off at someone but not you, but they're still being pissy to you because you're who they're talking to.
It really sucks--- hopefully everything will work out in the end, and you'll be able to get everything figured out quickly. Best of luck!

by leaffin at April 28, 2004 1:14 PM

Worse comes to worse, you can just live in the storage locker. Think about it. All you have to do is run an extension cord from the nearest power source, evade security guards constantly, and then just be generally resilient to the extreme climate changes/lack of insulation in your storage unit (aka, your new home).

Also you get to eat out a lot. And eating out is fun! Whoopee!!!

by lajoie at April 28, 2004 1:31 PM

Thanks for your support all. The overlap option is actually feasible but we can't get to that yet cuz the whole deal is still up in the air. We did find out from our lender that our real estate dude totally lied about the "hiccup." He should know because he's now scrambling around trying to get the buyer a loan pronto, for closure Friday!

You know how sometimes you're lying on your stomach and someone comes along and F's you up the ass? Well, that's exactly how I feel today. Bah!!!

by anna at April 28, 2004 3:39 PM

Man, Anna, good luck. I hope your agent, or whoever it was that lied, manages to get his act together and figure something out for you. Hang in there!

by jean at April 29, 2004 2:51 AM

Thanx Jean. Here I sit in Hell. Here's the latest: Did you know that, like branded cattle on a ranch, every adult has a "credit score?" Well, they do and that is what this whole miserable fiasco has come down to. The lying realtor is trying to shop the buyer's loan around but her "credit score" is...... 1 point to low to qualify for "conventional financing," whatever that means. That is 1 point out of like, 600! So pay your bills on time.

by anna at April 29, 2004 7:49 AM

To quote Paul Simon's The Boxer: I am leaving, I am leaving. Yes! The deal went through literally @ the 11th hour. I will now have Ian disconnect the computers and be incommunicado for a while.

by anna at April 29, 2004 7:05 PM

Dad, I'm pretty sure you're not so technologically incapable that you can't disconnect the freakin' cord. I mean, you pull it out of the surge protector, and you (later) stick the stuff in the boxes. Oh, by the way, MrBlank, although we're on dial-up now, we'll be joining you with cable.

by Ian at April 29, 2004 7:20 PM

Good to hear you're not going to be homeless Anna. I was going to offer your tribe space with Amy and I if it came to it. We don't have a lot of room but would be willing to share what we have. Room wise that is.

by Ezy at April 30, 2004 11:56 AM

Ian, take care of your poor technologically inept old man. It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks. To him, that cord probably looks like a cobra preparing to strike. Cords are scary that way.

by Ezy at April 30, 2004 12:02 PM

Good to hear you guys are gonna be ok after all. And cords can be tricky! Just the other day my sister tripped over the jungle of 'em we keep next to the computer (don't ask) and nearly fell to her death. Gotta keep an eye on things like that.

by Lucy at April 30, 2004 2:26 PM

I am back. This cable internet is scary fast. And the digital cable, how do you say... rules. But I no longer have a screen name. Does this mean I don't exist anymore?

Why no posts?

by anna at May 3, 2004 6:30 PM

I can only speak for myself; work is killing me right now. It's our busiest time of year and I'm juggling about five projects. I barely have time to come on and get a laugh. My life sucks right now. Arrrrrrrgh!!

by Ezy at May 4, 2004 9:18 AM

Ditto me.

Work is heavy and I'm going away for a week in a couple of days. I've always hated the fact that going on "vacation" entails working harder before you go away to facilitate your absence, and then harder once to get back to recover from it. It's almost not worth it...

by lajoie at May 4, 2004 12:36 PM

Ditto me! Going to Nigeria Sunday and working like the dickens to prepare. Have 3 gigs this week on top of that: two solo & one with the band. And one band practice.

Anna, with your high speed internet access, now you can go to my website & watch our videos! There are several new ones people.

by Linz at May 4, 2004 2:42 PM

Yea, we're pathetic huh?

by Ezy at May 4, 2004 4:24 PM

I am sure there are many things I could now do online just as soon as Ian creates new personnas for all of us. O, and Ezy, don't think that idea hadn't occured to me. Ashburn 7-11, stock up on Taliban wine.

by anna at May 5, 2004 7:52 AM

Taliban wine is tasty, no? Cheap now too.

by Ezy at May 5, 2004 8:26 PM