« When it rains it pours | Main | Her face at first just ghostly turns a whiter shade of pale »

mg

your voice gives me goosebumps when you call my name and I want to goosebump again

by mg at 12:13 PM on March 23, 2004

If you enjoyed either Adaptation or Being John Malkovich, than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind will be a sure hit. If, like me, you saw Charlie Kaufman’s early work as promising, but lacking a certain something, and really more exercises in style rather than substance, than Eternal Sunshine will hit you hard.

While Kaufman’s movies had inventive, if absurd, plots, they lacked humanity and emotional truth. Eternal Sunshine possess that truth - that love is painful, but worth the pain, and explores it in a creative and original way. Jim Carey and Kate Winslet play a Joel and Clementine, a couple that breaks up and decide to erase each other from their memories. Halfway through the movie Joel realizes the only thing worse than not having Clementine in his life, is losing her in his hear and mind.

And then the wackiness ensues.

This movie is true, and romantic, but is definitely not a “first date” movie, because if you leave the theater not thinking about your lost loves, you either weren’t paying attention, or, lucky you, are with your “one that got away.”

Me, I went with someone I loved, lost, and who came back to me. I went with my wife.

You heard me.

There is a story to tell, obviously, but not today.

I knew Tom wasn't kidding.

You fucker.

by Linz at March 23, 2004 12:21 PM

MG!!!! Congrats my man. It's great to hear some good news after the week I have had. You're right that there, definitely, is a story that needs to be told. Tell it soon huh?

by Ezy at March 23, 2004 12:22 PM

Oh, I mean congrats.

But I think I said that months ago and you ignored me.

Fucker.

by Linz at March 23, 2004 12:24 PM

finally confirmation of your marriage. maybe i missed it earlier, but the last i heard was eviltom wishing you two a happy something or other.

yes, the movie was fantastic. it had the great kaufman inner mind labyrinth, and i loved the way they filmed the memory scenes. carrey played it well too....only breaking into carreyisms once or twice, and in muted tones at that.

and if all this won't convince you guys, get this: kirsten dunst actually appears bra-less in a tight shirt for once. no kidding.

by lajo at March 23, 2004 12:24 PM

At the time ET said that, it wasn't true, so I didn't lie to you at all.

PS: Jim Carrey also appears bra-less.

by mg at March 23, 2004 12:33 PM

I never said you lied. I did think that you concealed exciting news, but I guess you haven't been for quite as long as I thought. So I guess your just an ucker.

by Linz at March 23, 2004 1:21 PM

don't you think that "Fucke" sounds a little nicer?

by lajo at March 23, 2004 1:33 PM

Dude. I was so totally going to say the exact same thing.

by mg at March 23, 2004 1:38 PM

How do you pronounce Fucke?

by Linz at March 23, 2004 2:46 PM

Fucky? That's how I'd pronounce it.

by Ezy at March 23, 2004 3:06 PM

Aw, that's kind of cute! Fuckie duckie!

by Linz at March 23, 2004 3:31 PM

um, yeah...fuck a duck and congrats on the nuptials.

by JC at March 23, 2004 4:52 PM

That's great. I also think I'd like the movie if I wasn't so theater-phobic.

It's funny though. You'll note I rarely mention personal details that involve my wife. And there's a reason for that: It hits too close to home. So I understand why you haven't delved into all that here. Will enjoy it if and when you ever do.

Isn't her name Amanda?

by anna at March 23, 2004 6:19 PM

Amanda Hugnkiss.

by lajo at March 23, 2004 7:11 PM

Turns out, Eviltom was right after all. Go Eviltom. You gotta hand it to that guy. He's a truth teller.

by Eviltom at March 23, 2004 10:09 PM

It rocks when Tom refers to himself in the 3rd person.

by anna at March 24, 2004 7:50 AM

Eviltom, did you you say you were a truth teller or a cock sucker, because I know you get those two confused sometimes.

by mg at March 24, 2004 10:57 AM

I leave for a few days and miss out on all kinds of stuff. Congtatulations, MG.

by MrBlank at March 24, 2004 11:04 AM

Happy nearly secret wedding!

by capitalj at March 24, 2004 11:08 AM

MG- glad to see that marriage has made you oh so mature now. Thanks for the daily cock sucking joke. It doesn't signal repressed homosexuality or anything, no... oh no!

by Eviltom at March 24, 2004 3:45 PM

Speaking of cock sucking my wife got off a pretty good one the other day. Grasping for ways to sweeten an offer we were going to make on a house, I suggested we throw in a hummer. Then I asked if she minded me essentially pimping her. (Kidding!!) She goes, "Not at all. You're the one who's gonna suck his dick, not me."

by anna at March 24, 2004 6:10 PM

Way to drop the bomb, MG! Congratulations!!! :)

by jean at March 25, 2004 1:32 AM

Once you tell this story I'll tell mine. Before she was my wife mine got away, I came groveling back and so on. Juicy detail to follow. Not.

by anna at March 25, 2004 8:16 PM