« You'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone | Main | Pride cometh before the fall »

lajoie

Too much coffee. Not enough sex.

by lajoie at 01:16 AM on March 18, 2004

Pardon my springiness, but Spring’s nearly sprung…at least way the F over here.

My absence? Explainable. But not today. No, now we talk of the future and the present. There is a girl. There is a job. There is a future and fuckitall, there is finally nice weather. I will attempt to explain in reverse order.

The weather: for those uninitiated to the tempestuous west, rain is the thing here. It is all you see for months on end, starting in October and lasting until March. It makes for a great many days where I sit clammy-skinned and cold in a concrete box called an office. Imagine a rock, how on a sunny day it can be cool to the touch, but once left in the sun, turns into a fiery coal. This is my summer office. Now, if you will, please imagine a wet rock, pulled from an icy river. This is my winter office. Leaving the house without and umbrella and raincoat stuffed in my bag is a luxury I’ll not soon take for granted. Being warm again, and more to the point, getting overheated, is once again possible. Did I mention that my apartment heater could chill the soul-less bones of a neo-con? Yes, well all this has me digging on the heat again. Just consuming it in big, hot, gulpy breathes.

The future: this nebulous thing is fast approaching. Time once seeming so far away has fast approached. Soon I’ll leave this job and travel. A small teaching job has aligned itself for the summer. Graduate school looms large in the fall. A huge move awaits, likely across the country. Another life, nothing like the one I wake to here, sits eagerly anticipating my energies.

The job: the job was described above. It’s a little design-teaching ditty over at a little college in Massachusetts for five weeks this summer. It will be idyllic, peaceful living…though the “free” mess hall food just might give me irritable bowels. I will keep you updated, no doubt.

The girl: the girl ties into all of this….all of this and more. This is a girl one meets at a New Year’s party and doesn’t talk to because she couldn’t possibly be single. Or she ‘s the type to not live locally, not even by broad coastal standards. One might even say of this girl, that she is the kind who would fly across the country, with no warning or place to stay, to see a boy she had only spent one whole day with, barely talking, and with whom she’d shared hundreds of emails and several long phone calls since. These girls are friends of your friends. They are cute and wonderful. They like design and comic books and are sharp as tacks. Some even compost. Girls like this take all the risks to start something unexplainably amazing because they felt something unexplainable in their gut. These girls make plans to move locally to spend the summer with you. These girls are loved.

Life ain’t so bad.

These girls may be loved, but... the title? Apparently they also don't give you enough sex.
Then again, what is 'enough'?

by yen at March 18, 2004 1:34 AM

Five weeks in New England. Hopefully in autumn. I once spent a similar stretch of time there, learning my trade. It was... quite a time I'll post about eventually. Just don't miss the Rhode Island beach towns teeming with hostile policemen in full riot regallia. Stick flowers in their gun barrels.

by anna at March 18, 2004 7:47 AM

"They like design and comic books and are sharp as tacks."

Last week I would have replied with, "What fucking planet do you live on? How do I get there?"

Now I have to reply with, "I'm having sushi with one of those girls on Saturday. Aren't they cool?"

by MrBlank at March 18, 2004 10:51 AM

ahhh, well you know yen....i was just referencing my life before the girl came to visit. that and 1980's pop culture cinema. the coffee thing still applies.

anna, i'll be doing the teaching deed this summer, so it won't be one of those falls. though a new england autumn remains a possibility...

blank, welcome to our planet. i didn't know it existed either, but it sure is nice here. the women have neat haircuts, wear cute skirts and love..... i mean love tag-team showers!

best of luck with yours.

by lajo at March 18, 2004 12:34 PM

This is beautiful. Glad to see everyone is so damn happy.

by mg at March 18, 2004 12:39 PM

Can *I* come find this planet, too? ;)

by yen at March 18, 2004 2:24 PM

sure yen, can you fit in the shower? it'll be tight.

by lajo at March 18, 2004 5:01 PM

I'm just waiting for when Yen's mother finds this site and yells at all you all for making sexually lude comments to her pre-teen daughter. Oh boy am I waiting.

by mg at March 18, 2004 6:40 PM

hi just 2 say its ok

by kelly at March 19, 2004 5:45 AM

Who's Kelly, Yen's ma? And don't even think about making such remarks to Ian.

by anna at March 19, 2004 8:01 AM

Lajo-- yeah? For the sake of clarification, how tight? ;)

And no, she is not my mother. Just so y'all know I'm eighteen and legal. *grins*

by yen at March 20, 2004 2:14 AM

ok, now i feel dirty.

by lajo at March 20, 2004 2:15 PM

Lajo-- I DID say I was younger than twenty. Doesn't leave you with too many options, now, does it?

Does that mean no more shower in the planet of the beautiful women?

by yen at March 20, 2004 2:40 PM

well, i've already got my beautiful woman. so it's up to you to find your own woman, man, pony, plastic she-ra doll...or whatever turns your crank.

i can't tell anyone's age, race or sex anymore. maybe that's why the internet is great: total, physical equality.

anna's a sixteen year old welsh girl for all i know. with a mustache.

by lajo at March 20, 2004 7:48 PM

Well, Ezy's met Anna & confirmed his identity... unless Ezy's just Anna's online alter ego.

Who knows, maybe mg has multiple personalities & we're all manifestations of it...

by Linz at March 22, 2004 9:27 AM

Oh, and CONGRATS Lajo & Blank!!!
Yay!!!

by Linz at March 22, 2004 9:28 AM

thanks much little lady.

hey, give me some details on the mexico trip. i'm thinking of going this summer. i'll email for specifics...

by lajo at March 22, 2004 1:17 PM

You're right, Ezy and I have met. He could confirm that I'm just this boring old suburban fart who finds the appearance of Yen here fascinating.

The funny thing was, we hit it off real well but not nearly as good as our wife/girlfriends did.

by anna at March 22, 2004 7:41 PM

you mean your wife and his many girlfriends.

i knew he looked like the kind to keep a harem. it's the soulpatch i think.

by lajo at March 22, 2004 7:50 PM

No you should see the two of them. Palpable love.

by anna at March 23, 2004 7:42 AM

Talking about a man while he's not around, I see. You know I dug you Anna. Our women are probably just better at it than we are.

Lajo, I am no longer a harem holder. Amy is all I can or even want to think about handling from here on out. Glad to hear you and Blank found out planet. Enjoy the hell out of yourselves. It's quite a place. By the way, it probably is the soul patch.

Yen, there's always room for one more in the shower ;-)

by Ezy at March 23, 2004 10:24 AM

thanks ezy!

the good news: i see her again in less then three weeks.

the bad news: her waterheater craps out after about five minutes.

by lajo at March 23, 2004 12:33 PM

Yea, that can be quite a downer. Get the landlord involved and tell him that you can't perform under that kind of pressure. Five minutes? Geez, I think the minimum for good shower play is at least twenty minutes.

by Ezy at March 23, 2004 2:03 PM

One of our criteria in buying a house was a 70- gallon water heater. Problem is those don't exist around here. O well, there's always shared baths.

Right.

by anna at March 24, 2004 9:35 PM

Just ran across the site and having a look at the writing. I'm in Massachusetts and now that spring is here, things are lookin' good. Got the tulips!!

I live in the Pioneer Valley with my husband and our daughters. Are you teaching in the 5-college area this summer? Any questions about Massachusetts?

nianono

by Nianono at April 21, 2004 10:10 PM

That all depends.

Which are the five colleges?

by lajoie at April 22, 2004 12:22 PM