« It's all a lot of oysters but no clams | Main | Kids say the darndest things »

mg

the stars are gonna spell out the words to tommorow's crosswords

by mg at 05:58 PM on March 09, 2004

I think it probably no secret that my interest in running Bad Samaritan has waned. Iíve been less than intimately involved for nearly a year now. Over that time, the place has pretty much run well without me, which is why Iíve continued to put in infrequent appearances, and done my dues ex machina thing in the background.

I think it also isnít much of a secret that the last couple weeks around here have been a lot like a ghost town. Iím not going to blame anyone, because it isnít anyoneís fault. But, I have to be honest, and I have to take this opportunity to rethink things.

Iíve been willing to put in the work, mostly behind the scenes, to keep things running because there had been a vibrant community that this website continued to serve in my visible absence. But, that community seems to be withering, and Iím just not sure it is worth it anymore to keep things going.

Unless someone disagrees. Unless someone is willing to step up. Unless a bit of the old spark returns. I just donít have it in me anymore to keep the site running and vital, especially for the dwindling flock of Samaritans. When more of the comments on any given day are about long ago written stripper stories, or stupid pedophiles, it makes me hurt.

There are a few options:
* Someone or several someones stepping up to make the commitment to keep things going creatively (4 posts in 10 days in unacceptable), and I will continue to participate in the background
* Hand the reins over completely to someone whom will manage the backend and technical aspects of the site, and possibly bring new life to the creative side as well
* Shut down the doors of Bad Samaritan completely

Personally, Iíd rather see things continue here, but only if it returns to the vibrant, alive site it has been in the past. I canít watch the site slowly die, and would close it down completely rather than suffer through long stretches of inactivity and finally irrelevance.

Iím willing to take any help, any suggestion, so please, do.

I guess I'm not too shocked to see this, as I do recall seeing the posts and other signs of your waning interest.

I certainly am in no position to say much about that, as my meager contributions as an author pale in comparison to what you've built here in the last 3 years, long before I was aware of the site's existence.

I'd be happy to help with the technical existence of the site, as I do visit the site a couple / few times a day, I just haven't had the creative spark to make much of a contribution otherwise.

From the amount of Anna's contributions you could look at renaming it BadAnna and Friends and turning some of that creative spark over to him... except of course those odd contributions at times that fall flat like the last one - Don't trust a muslim in heels...

by chuckwooleru at March 9, 2004 6:22 PM

Yo Mikey, if you getting too fed up to feed up this computer jazz, like the lean on the screen got your eyes bleeding something awful obscene, your creativity clean-slated, your patience outdated, yo, fade it- maybe you might have a sprinkling of an inkling for the film bizz. What you think, MG? An old sidekick wants to kick it less you think SD some old buried and gone, some dead and passed on, some old hallway hockey friendship used to death and done been pawned, well bury the hatchet, let's move on... you a good writer, let's make a movie.

by DELEROI AKA SD at March 9, 2004 6:53 PM

in the name of all that is anna, i hope that the site continues.

i do understand, that the burden's not on me though.

i'll certainly post more. my ridiculous personal commitments are easing up in a week or two after a few nasty months.

i guess i mainly offer more participation....

sure the girls aren't as slutty anymore.... but even during the slow times i dig this joint.

viva bad sam

by lajoie at March 9, 2004 8:18 PM

As someone who visits this site on a daily basis but rarely comments, I would like to say that I would miss Bad Sam were it to be buried in the blog cemetary. I think that this is a wonderfully diverse group of people, and it would be a shame if I didn't get to read about army escapades from years back, random slice of life stories, and views from the other side of the political fence. I even actually had a dream about the BadSam authors once, which signifies that I a)really like this place and b)dream about fucked up things. In case you were wondering, MG died, and so everyone came together to decide on the fate of Bad Sam. In the end, it was decided that MrBlank would take over.
If this site sticks around, I will become a more active commenter, unless you all boo at me.

by Leaffin at March 9, 2004 10:29 PM

I've been reading y'all for months, but, like Leaffin, I've never actually left a comment before. Yeah, the random lurking thing really works for me. Would it help if I begged beautifully on my knees like a good slave should? (Sorry, force of habit.)

I don't want to have to miss Bad Sam.

by yen at March 9, 2004 11:26 PM

Looks like the lurkers are turning out in full force to say please don't go!!!

by AlterEgo at March 9, 2004 11:41 PM

I'd like to see BS come back to life, but if it is going to end, let's end it with a party. An actual Bad Sam meet-up so we can at least see each other in person. I'll go anywhere. I really, really, really need a vacation.

Florida? Vegas? New York? Colorado? Some place fun. Fun is good.

by MrBlank at March 10, 2004 12:21 AM

You could kind of see this post coming, telegraphed by the ghostly silence round here of late.

It is great to hear from the lurkers. That is what we need. No comment is too stupid, unless it's left by one of those spam-bots.

As for myself I obviously can't do anything technical. See the pix fiasco. But I can be more selective with my contributions. Some, as Chuck noted, simply suck. I don't know what I was thinking.

Long live the best site on the net.

by Anna at March 10, 2004 7:51 AM

I feel partially responsible for this...

My posts were pretty frequent there for a while but now that I'm actually in love I don't have that naughty dating life anymore.

I would be totally bummed if this site folded. I don't really know how to spice things up to your liking, Michael. I do think it's at its best when at least four or five of us are posting regularly.

I have had 2 weeks of craziness at work, but I will try to put my heart into it again after this week is over.

For the record, although the posting has been spotty lately we've still had some really compelling debates here recently thanks to Blank and the comment numbers per post are nothing to scoff at. Are you forgetting what your first year looked like?

Regardless, I agree that I'd love a gathering but as I have 3 trips this summer to the north for weddings, travel is an issue. Who's up for a trip to Atlanta??

by Linz at March 10, 2004 9:34 AM

I feel somewhat responsible also. I haven't been contributing much for the last month or so. Honestly, my life has been pretty boring which has left me uninspired. I am coaching/playing on my company's softball team which should give me some material. There are a couple of guys on the team with no athletic ability whatsoever. I can't wait to hit them some hard grounders. I'm evil but in a good mischievous way.

All of that rambling aside, I would love to see BadSam continue. I'll make more of an effort to comment and post a bit more regularly. I can always dig up some old adventures to tell about. I'll never be able to match Anna's frequency in posting but I'll try to put out a few more than I have been. When all is said and done, It's still your call MG. You bear the brunt of the burden so you da man.

Nice to see the "Lurkers" coming out of the woodwork.

I think I'm coming to Hotlanta in June Linz! I have to see if I made the list but my boss said he wants to send me. Wheeee!!

by Ezy at March 10, 2004 10:13 AM

Everyday when i get to work, I do three things. Everyday the same three things in the exact order. First, I check my phone messages. Second, I check my email. Third, I check the bad samaritan website. Sometimes i laugh, somtimes i am disgusted, but it has become a necessary evil to me. I have never made a comment before, but i now think that it has now become necessary...please dont send my morning routine crashing down, there is no telling what permanent effect this may have on my existence!!!

by Katie at March 10, 2004 10:29 AM

Katie, you rock! All this devotion and we didn't even know you were here...

by Linz at March 10, 2004 1:11 PM

And I thought I was the only one who'd incorporated BadSam into my routine.

Now, you people wouldn't like to be held completely responsible for Katie's psychosomatic breakdown....

Would you?

by yen at March 10, 2004 1:44 PM

Well MG that does it for me. I don't want that on my conscience, do you?

And Yen, begging beautifully on your knees will get you pretty much anything you ask for. Especially from the characters in here. Ready, set, beg away!!!!

by Ezy at March 10, 2004 2:14 PM

hearts all a-flutter...

this is like a jerry lewis tel-a-thon gone right.

if you've been lurking like katie or yen maybe now's the time to speak up. mg's been known to get a little sentimental....

oh and i'm definetely down for that party... but like linz have abundant travel plans looming which makes it tough. but if it everything lines up, the first round's on me.

by lajo at March 10, 2004 2:55 PM

I've only discovered Bad Sam six months ago. I like it. I'm unable to write anything witty myself but but I sure like to read you guys' contributions!

Oh Belgium (that's where I live).

by Pres at March 10, 2004 3:55 PM

Well, worst case, you needn't shut down the place completely, as someone like myself would be happy to take it over. My perl/mysql/php/javascript/linux chops are as good as anyone's, though applying a source of vision and creativity, as you do, might present someone like myself with a challenge. As Linz and others point out - we're all spread pretty thin sometimes. But that's where the fun of group authorship kick in. How do you go about gauging the a critical mass of authors? How do you pick who writes for the site?

by chris at March 10, 2004 4:17 PM

Katie's a lot like me in that she's got a touch of OCD going on. "Everyday the same three things in the exact same order." Hey, it's a good thing when you can live on autopilot.

by anna at March 10, 2004 6:25 PM

Remember that idea Lockheed had about turning BadSam into a trading exchange? We had spreads, bets, we'd just have to come up with a reliable paying mechanism... Sad to see this post... Haven't been on this site in a long time... and the first post I read is this... yes, full circle... it seems fitting... Lockheed lives only to exist... no more aspirations... blunt, and frequently in pain... I had one small 'coup' on JDSU call options, but the assets are once again dwindling, and laser tattoo removal is not all that impressive so far... time for a cigarette...

by LOCKHEED at March 10, 2004 7:27 PM

MG, how about you let Lockheed post? Instead of simply shutting it down, let Lockheed ruin the site. I'll do a bond market recap and lockheed's take on the economy.

by lockheed at March 10, 2004 7:41 PM

First badinagoodway goes away and now this? Sadness will forever live in my heart if you guys leave, but it's understandable. I feel I've lost my right to complain about this since lately I haven't had much chance to lurk, much less comment, on this site.

I hope something can be worked out and BadSam can live on, but if it isn't meant to be then I just want to say this is one of my favorite corners of the internet, and it will be deeply missed. Even with dwindling posts and what with Linz being in love an all, this is a great site to visit. Ya'll should feel proud that it's been running so long and so succesfully.

by Lucy at March 10, 2004 8:01 PM

i don't comment often, but i've been coming here for a little under two and a half years and for the most part i'm the same as katie. except i check in here about every other day.
anyway, as was bound to happen, i had a whole big thing about why this place is full of awesome but it got ate! there was even a song i made up to be sung in the tune of debaser by the pixies but i've since forgotten the words and i could make up another one but..i digress.

my point was that this place is amazing and one of the few sites that i always come back to. i understand where you're coming from with wanting to shut down and i can't offer much in the way of programming so i'd be sad sad sad to see you shut down.
but if you don't i'll comment more! oh and make up a new song! seriously! the pixies!

by capitalj at March 11, 2004 12:49 AM

So here's where we're at. BadSam stays-- Leaffin becomes active, I beg on my knees for as long as Ezy wants, Katie keeps her routine and her sanity, and Capital J makes a song.

How much more obvious can the choice be?

by yen at March 11, 2004 6:42 AM

Well put, Yen.
MG, for the sake of us, the lurkers, try and keep this site alive.

by Leaffin at March 11, 2004 9:32 AM

By the way, Ezy, that kicks ass!! I am traveling to Africa sometime in June for work but hopefully not when you're here. Woohoo!!!

Wow, all you lurkers rock, thanks for speaking up... are there any others out there?

by Linz at March 11, 2004 9:52 AM

I agree with LOCKHEED. Why not let LOCKHEED post? Personally, I'd love to read a bond market recap every day. Entertaining -AND- Educational. What more can you ask for?

by Eviltom at March 11, 2004 12:03 PM

The love in here is truly a beautiful thing.

Linz, no Africa for you during my visit and that's final. I'll make phone calls I tell ya. I know some very unimportant people in Africa. Don't test me lady!

Yen, are you on your knees, like now? This is definitely a win win for everyone.

CapitalJ, you should write and send the lyrics to Linz to immortalize in song. Then she could record it and MG can make it so the site plays the official Bad Sam song when you log in. That would be sweet.

MG, are you serious or was this post a motivational tool to get us off of our lazy asses?

I wouldn't mind a daily bond market recap and state of the economy address by Lockheed.

by Ezy at March 11, 2004 1:07 PM

I used to have a whole lot of stocks. Now I have a whole lot of bonds. I don't know why. All that stuff baffles me. So yeah, a daily bond update with background music sounds good.

by anna at March 11, 2004 1:45 PM

Whether it was serious or a motivational tool (it was serious), it seems to have worked. Lets see a week from now how much love there is though.

by mg at March 11, 2004 1:59 PM

(as I've mentioned before) My lunchtime routine: kick students out of my classroom. Put lunch in microwave, attach breast pump milking machine handsfree apparatus, take food out of microwave, log on to bs, and pump, read, & eat at the same time. Sometimes, like today, I will not eat my apple so I can type a comment. BS has been great. One of my favorite government lessons that I give my students is what I call the philosophy chat. I teach about different political philosophers-John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, JJ Rousseau, etc. Then I give them each a copy of an actual BS post/comments written by MG responding to the Patriot Act post by KD. It is great, MG & KD talk about Locke & Rousseau and apply them to a current issue. I assign my students ti the different "characters" and we read it out loud. Everyone loves Evil Tom's line, "It's clear who was paying full attention in Social Studies class. MG, that's what makes you such a big dork. Unlike the cool kids, who were much more into math and physics." and Linz's line, "I think I am going to become an anarchist. Then I won't feel so guilty because I won't be acknowledging my affiliation with any reckless superpower. But then I couldn't buy sparkly eyeshadow or listen to Moby." Not only does it talk about the Patriot Act, which a lot of students don't know about, but it relates it to political philosophy. It was an excellent debate and a great lesson for my kids!

Which leads me to another point... I love the debates on this website. Of course most of the people I am friends with are pretty liberal and have the same views as I do on most issues. I was at a party recently talking about gay marriage and there was one poor girl that was against it with about 10 liberals ganging up on her. Here I get to see the other side and debate it. I LOVE THAT! Anyway, I hope BS sticks around!!!!!

by Shannon at March 12, 2004 12:56 PM

Shannon, I didn't know you did that with the reading aloud thing... how funny! Do you tell them I'm your sister?

Here's the post Shannon mentions if anyone wants to see it.

by Linz at March 12, 2004 1:40 PM

I did go back and read it. It is amazing how smart I am.

by mg at March 12, 2004 1:52 PM

When it comes to old dead French philosophers who don't get paid, I prefer Voltaire. Yeah, him and Fabio.

by anna at March 12, 2004 6:42 PM

Hmmm... I'm willing to take the blame for the dwindling. That's right, you can all burn me in effigy.

Alternately, I could start writing again. The problem with graphic design is that as I become more right-brained, the left starts to atrophy. The other day I confused "6" and "3".

No, really, I did.

by snaggle at March 13, 2004 12:05 PM

If you confuse 3" for 6", maybe I should rethink those sexual propositions you've been making all these years...

by mg at March 13, 2004 8:22 PM

Holy crap, Shannon! I thought you were a 9th grader not a teacher. Now the world makes sense.

Snag, don't let that left brain go. It is possible for a designer to be left brained. That might be why I work so well with the production people at the print shop and why I donít work so well with my right brained boss. I think every print shop for 100 miles hates her guts. No, thatís not true. I donít get along with her because sheís an idiot. She actually proposed this as a concept for a brochure/campaign, ďThe ********* Institute: thinking outside the box.Ē I almost vomited all over her.

by MrBlank at March 14, 2004 1:21 AM

Comments on comments and comments on post. First of all MG, if I had enough time on my hands, Internet comprehension, technological skills, and a good tutor, I would take the site. But none of that's gonna happen, so I'll shut up about that.
Second of all, this is my dad's only amusement. (I know, pathetic isn't it?)
Third of all, how anyone could possibly come up with "in the name of all that is anna" is far beyond me. Lightyears, even.
Fourth of all, Dad, your OCD thing needs to be corrected. I should know. OCD is doing something over and over. NLD (very rare, don't ask for an explanation) has a long list of components, one of them being the autopilot.

by Ian at March 14, 2004 9:49 PM