« Slip Sliding Away | Main | Just roll me over when you're done »

Red lips hair and fingernails, I hear you're a mean ol' Jezebel

by anna at 06:49 PM on February 17, 2004

I donít know Scott Peterson personally. Nonetheless I dislike his smirky ass. I also disagree with his choices when it comes to women. He was happily married to Laci. She was bearing his child for Christís sake. Rather than feathering their nest, he takes up with this Amber woman.

Laciís friends and relatives describe her in all the generic ways we talk about dead ladies. She was vivacious, caring, loved children etc. And thatís all well and fine. But the thing that is striking to me is the way she is often pictured wearing bright red lipstick many years into her marriage. This is in stark contrast to the earthy, almost homely-looking massage therapist he chose over his own wife.

Given their druthers I think most guys would prefer that women wear lipstick and makeup in general; just as they revere high heels. (Although I must admit that heels Ďn thong combo you see on car magazine covers borders on preposterous. How often do you see that ensemble in real life? And talk about objectifying women. Jeez!)

Admit it. Lipstick simply looks good on a woman. It is seductive and implies that she cares about her appearance. Single woman recognize this. I seem to recall Linz saying that she always puts some on before entering the guy-laden supermarket. Regardless of that, though, it is clear that lipstick is a huge and thriving business. Even in primitive cultures Iím sure women find ways to adorn their lips, maybe with extracts from berries or something.

Now granted, there are drawbacks to lipstick. If you canoodle with someone who isnít your spouse, telltale traces of it wind up on your collar or....elsewhere. That is never good. It makes a mess of wine glasses. It dries out and requires constant re-application. I donít care for the medicinal way it smells. There are so-called ďlipstick lesbians,Ē and I donít even want to know what that means. Old women often miss their lips and wind up looking like circus clowns. Many of the hues theyíve come up with do look outlandishly gaudy. It certainly can be overdone---as with that deal where thereís a penciled line around the contours of her lips. Yuk! Two words: Melanie Griffith.

Still, I daresay we can stipulate that on balance, loud lipstick is a good thing---or at least that it isnít hurting anyone. So why then do so few married or otherwise attached women seem to wear it anymore? It would be easy to say that in the harried juggling act that is the MOOA lifestyle, there just isnít time for lipstick. But most MOOAs still get their hair done. They pluck their eyebrows, get bikini waxes and shave their legs. Attachment doesnít preclude preening.

(In the movie Bugsy, Annette Benning played singer Virginia Hill. Her character was practically defined by the bright lipstick she wore at all times---that and her propensity for hurling ashtrays at Bugsy Siegel. In real life she captivated the heart of lifelong bachelor and ladiesí man Warren Beatty. They ultimately wed and had a slew of kids. I wonder if she still wears lipstick around the house.)

I think the reason is this: In Siegelís day, young women tried to look older, more sophisticated. To this end theyíd wear loud lipstick, put their hair up in buns and don/doff elegant suits. Theyíd take up the then-glamorous practice of smoking. Nowadays the older MOOA women are striving to look younger. They tend to shun bright lipstick in favor of more subtle shades, lip gloss or nothing at all.

It's all good, I spose.

a disturbing series of photos to be sure.

happy attractive woman.
happy attractive woman in happy couple.
happy extramarital couple.
scuba divers dredging a lake.

it's like someone's testing people to see if we can handle the grand responsibility of human life and we're failing. or something.

by lajo at February 17, 2004 7:44 PM

To quote Chuck Palahniuk in Invisible Monsters: ďShe'd wear shades of lipstick you'd expect to see around the base of a penis.Ē

The only thing I'm going to admit is that makeup is NOT attractive. Leave it for the clowns.

by MrBlank at February 17, 2004 9:20 PM

here here! all aboard the no make-up wagon!!!

your driver today will be mr. blank.

by lajo at February 17, 2004 10:01 PM

How is Invisible Monsters? I read Fight Club and thought it was sort of rough, although sometimes brilliant.

I don't like bright lipstick. The problem with really obvious makeup is that the rest of you has to keep up. Otherwise you end up with a screen siren face on a Sierra Club body. NOT good.

Actually I refuse to wear makeup to any office job. I'm not there to look pretty. I'm there to get work done. And I've seen enough of males leering at and chatting up pretty women only to blow them off and talk right over them once they're actually required to work together.

by jean at February 18, 2004 2:44 AM

I didn't get that from the link the first time but it is rather disturbing. Love that quote Mr. Blank. Jean, if you wore loud lipstick to my conservative-dressed office you'd stick out like a sore thumb. As did the Cat Lady I posted about once.

Let me also add that finding Laci attractive gives me the same creepy feeling I got nine years ago when pix of a bikini-clad Nicole Brown Simpson were plastered everywhere.

by anna at February 18, 2004 7:56 AM

I'm too lazy to bother with makeup on a regular basis, although if I wear contacts I do -- I like to play up my eyes. I'm vain.

My coworker wears really wacky shades of eye makeup and it looks good on her, but she avoids lipstick. You can only do one or the other -- trying to play up both eyes and lips leaves you looking all odd, I think.

I hate lipstick. It tastes bad, it never stays on me, and when it fades, it only does so from the inside of my lips, so it's really obvious that it's faded -- there's still colour at the outsides, but not the rest.

This all makes sense in my head, but then again, I have a monster head cold.

by Jen at February 18, 2004 9:17 AM

I'd much rather women not wear makeup. I do realize that some women wear it to hide pox scars or other blemishes and to help with their self esteem; that's the only case I could see where it's needed. If it is worn, I have always been a fan of earthy tones and not the fire engine/ferrari red some seem to find sexy. No offense if anyone wears that color, but I find it tasteless. It just reminds me of something I heard once about animal coloring. If you see a brightly adorned animal then more often than not it'll be poisonous or dangerous in some way. The bright color serves as a warning. It's something I definitely think about.

As for Scott Peterson, what the hell was HE thinking. You have a hottie waiting for you at home and you're going to go play in the trailer park? Not too smart.

by Ezy at February 18, 2004 10:16 AM

I've spent the entire day laughing inwardly about that quote. Who could think something like that up?
And it reminded me of how, as with DVDs, sometimes the best parts of posts are the outtakes. Mine are usually deleted because I fear something will be (mis?)construed as insensitive or non-PC. Anyway, it was this: "Michael Jackson probably leaves rings of it places he shouldn't." *cringes*

by anna at February 18, 2004 6:18 PM

Like Jen, I like to play it up sometimes but am just as comfortable with no makeup. Plus my idea of having makeup on is most guys ideas of barely having makeup on. Several guys have said, "I love how you don't wear makeup," when every date with them, I was wearing it. Sean doesn't like makeup. Most of the men in my love life haven't. But I guess that's why they dated someone like me, and I don't know what the majority of men like.

by Linz at February 19, 2004 10:50 AM

Well Ezy, his hottie was 8 months pregnant. I can testify that months 6-9 are a real dry period. Not that that justifies what he did.

Once a much younger GF convinced me that I needed to update my image. She persuaded me to let her put mascara on my already girlish eyelashes. We walked into a party and all my friends were like, "Who are you supposed to be, Keith Richards?" And she claimed it wouldn't even be noticeable.

by anna at February 19, 2004 6:53 PM

I love wearing lipstick, i mostly wear red lipstick i find it to be the best color on me. i find that red lipstick makes a statement all it,s own. i will never go outside with out it. i was at a stop light the other day waiting for the light to turn green and i was putting on my lipstick and this guy honk at me saying will you put some on me i said okay so i pulled over in thr parking lot and i ask what he was pointing at i thought something was wrong with my car, he ask me if i would put some lipstick on him and i said yea i guess so i did just as bright as my , i thought oh well no problem. what do you think about that anna please be honest.

by Terri crummitt at May 3, 2005 1:13 PM

There is nothing sexier than the woman that doesn't realize just how sexy she is. I love when a girl comes over,no make-up, messy hair, old shirt, and despite this still looks good.

Almost anyone can look good if they try hard enough, or at least not look bad. It takes a special someone to look good when they are gross.

Besides if they get all dolled up everynight, what is there to look forward to on the big days?

by dominathan at May 3, 2005 3:50 PM

I think you're lucky he didn't rape you. Why are you guys commenting on this old dog now?

by anna at May 3, 2005 6:47 PM