« Faint praise is damning praise | Main | Rain on my parade? No rain on his. »

lajoie

traditional dental scissors

by lajoie at 12:48 AM on November 10, 2003

Early on a stunning, cloud-threaded morning, thereís precious little as visually arresting as seeing the urban night-folk, just full of blood and ready for bed. We normals manage to get to sleep at night, and wake up fresh after dawn with the joie de vivre as they say, and all the potential of the new day as seen through dream crusted eyes. But thereís another element, local & seedier, that flips this tired schedule on its ear, and for good measure.... washes it down with a little Steel Reserve. Call it comfort food.

To put it in a way once overheard, ďNothing like a little 8am Ďthrow-me-downíĒ.
*opens can, guzzles*

By my estimation, itís only taken some of these sly lurkers an average of thirty years to undo 200,000 years of selective breeding against nocturnalism. Not yet completely removed from this world, apparently they still know a thing or two about applying pressure to fresh facial wounds. Yeah thatís right.

So this morning, I rounded my corner with a head full of steam and a laundry bag full of dirty articles, to get nearly wiped out by a fast moving, snake-bitten man. He had been in a fight (perhaps with a woman given all the scratches) and his caving nose looked like salsa. He was rushing on the perpendicular and we narrowly avoided direct contact or, as Iím even more wont to whisper.... fluid smearing. Iíd say that this was the dayís stiff shake from a dead nap, or the cold shower flushed upon you by unsuspecting others, except for that fact that things just got worse later on. Not with this un-homely figure mind you. Most of these encounters pass with little social interplay, and this one was no different, with nary a word exchanged to accompany our blanched gazes. No, this was truly the high point of what was originally a ripe and promising day.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon.

Thereís usually an unfortunate lack of really powerful info that can toss you down, and slap the piss from your cheeks. And thatís mostly a good thing. So as I sat to tally the story above, certainly with different intentions in mind, I was made aware to a little job gossip. One of, if not THE most indispensable persons here at work, just got fired. This is scary news. I thought things were pretty hunky.... if not a little dory. Whatís worse, Iíve been noticeably less effective at doing my job over the last month, and thatís expected to continue for the next few. To explain, Iíve been putting a lot of my energies into applying to go back to school, and itís been eating into my hours at work a bit. As a result, everything sags. I had been counting on the additive effects of a cushion of goodwill I like to think Iíve built up working here for almost four years, the sympathy of bosses who know the real reason why Iím here at night and on weekends, and the fact that Iím something of a key drone on several projects here in the office, to save my job. But this throws all of that into the crapper. So this is my way of saying, from me to you dear readers, that if I disappear for a little while, one of two things has happened: I have either gotten shit-canned, and subsequently reacquainted with an irrepressible lech named Johnny Walker..... or I am busy-beeing my way into someoneís good graces and thusly another paycheck. For now, the latter is about as good as one can hope for, but I will say that having the creative license, and unavoidable excuse that unemployment provides to get drunk in the early afternoons, is a tempting prospect. Letís see now.... I should probably get back to doing something for the greater good, which in this case suddenly means ďmeĒ. Wish the greater good some luck.

I've been among the nocturnal for long stretches of time. There's nothing like going to 7-11 to stock up on provisions to continue your lonely vigil and to encounter workaday folks getting coffee newspapers and donuts.

by anna at November 10, 2003 7:47 AM

Thanks for ruining my next chips & salsa experience. dammit!

by Linz at November 10, 2003 11:05 AM

anna, i never understood that 'creature of the night' thing. it's not always a lifestyle choice, and sometimes one forced upon people by life, homelessness, etc. but some of these guys are roustabouts by choice and i just can't quite identify. maybe it's just that the sun's got a grip on me, and i sleep and wake at it's mercy.

linz, worse than the whole salsa experience were the shadows cast into the divots on the guy's face. i thought halloween happened last week. it was ghastly.

by lajoie at November 10, 2003 1:11 PM

Good luck with the unemployment/ still employed thing.

Do you know why that oter guy got canned? Often people who make themselves "indespensible" are the ones who never take vacations, time off etc, becasue they know their misdeeds will be discovered if they are away for any period of time.

Ah, inspiration for a post.

by chuckwoolery at November 10, 2003 3:19 PM

actually, he was a classy guy, and a really good person. he also knew a shitload about getting stuff built. more than anyone here, bosses included. the official reason according to him as he and the bosses "were no longer a match". which is business-ese for "you make too much money for what we need right now".

what's got me particularly on edge is that the bosses are known for doing this kind of thing gangland style. you never know it's coming, and one day they ask you into the meeting room, or out to coffee...and poof! no one ever sees you again. seriously.

by lajoie at November 10, 2003 4:31 PM

It's freebase, the rich man's crack.

by anna at November 10, 2003 7:06 PM

Lajoie-- those rat bastards. Good luck. Don't hang too much with Mr. Walker in any case, nor Mr. Daniels or Mr. B. Eater.

by jean at November 11, 2003 4:14 AM

interesting.the clause that caught my attention was "greater good".please expound.

by erectmonkey at November 11, 2003 11:30 AM

erect, the greater good is that nebulous thing that makes your life better, as well as those around you. i'm not sure i've found it myself.

jean, don't forget a ms. w. turkey. though personally, i'm a big fan of all of Jame's sons.

by lajo at November 11, 2003 1:09 PM

Of course! The fabulous Miss Wild! A foxy babe, that one... :)

by jean at November 13, 2003 5:16 AM

Dear Sirs,
We are leading manufacturers and exporters of Surgical,Dental,manicure,Pedicure instruments and scissors of all kinds.We belive in only quality instruments.We are exporting our products to USA,Canada and Europe.If you are interested contact us.Thanks
With best Regards,
Malik Zulfiqar
C.E.O ( Welbro Surgical )
www.welbrosurgical.com

by Malik Zulfiqar at July 29, 2005 12:52 AM

Dear Sir/Madam,

We take pleasure to introduce our-selves that we are on of the leading Manufacturers and Exporters of Surgical Instruments, Dental Instruments, Manicure Instruments and also all sorts of Scissors.

We regularly export all these items from a long time and are known with good reputation through out Globe. Our products are different from traditional manufacturer and every thing is offered in most economical prices prompt deliveries with International Stander Quality and full satisfaction, just examine our samples.

The purpose of writing this mail to make contacts with your esteemed organization in pleasant atmosphere. If you need more information or take samples so don't hesitate to contact with us Thanks

We will do hope that you will reply us at your early premises with fruitful response.

================================================