« Insane in the membrane, insane in the brain | Main | Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my open mind »

doyce

I don't know if it's art...

by doyce at 11:07 AM on November 17, 2003

Police on Friday removed the corpse of a man believed to have hanged himself at least a year ago after builders and students at Budapest's University of Arts had initially mistaken it for a modern sculpture.

The body hung for a whole day in a garden building that had been re-opened for repairs before onlookers realized what it was and called the police, local media said.

"I thought it was some sort of mini, mini-retrospective," commented Depa Vastri, between sobs. "I mean, the first thing to strike you is the diversity of scale, the signature style emulating the American 1980s stock market; it was almost whimsical; I was going to do a sketch of it."

"I pointed the artistís pre-occupation with gesture out to my roomate," said a pale, waxen-faced Raje Singh, a graduate art student. "It seemed rather static, but we attributed that to the materials," he added. "We were amazed what we thought the artist had done -- it holds up as a marvelously concise, dashed-off bit -- like a Chinese character rendering."

"When you first approach it, the piece is very symmetrical. But try a side view look and notice how quickly the symmetry disappears," lectured a shaking Professor of second-year Theory. "Next, think about walking underneath it, which is intimidating in the same way a Richard Serra sculpture is. With impossibly large and heavy utilitarian materials the creator successfully achieved a sensibility that also comes off as light and airy. I --" The professor then broke off to race into a cluster of discarded easels from which only dry retching noises could be heard.

A prime example of how context influences perception. What I find interesting is that no one noticed the smell and the head managed to stay on after a year of decomposition. I want more details.

by MrBlank at November 17, 2003 11:26 AM

so it hung for a year or a day? that part's confusing.

what's not confusing is how cool this is.

by lajo at November 17, 2003 12:12 PM

This kind of reminds me of a joke I read in Maxim.

What do you call a mummified blond in a closet?

The winner of last year's hide and go seek tournament.

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle.

by Ezy at November 17, 2003 12:14 PM

got it. so he hung for a year, and then was on display for a day when the building reopened.

thus, no stinky.

by lajo at November 17, 2003 12:16 PM

Yeah, but wouldn't your head pop off after a year of rotting?

by MrBlank at November 17, 2003 3:52 PM

well, the neck's pretty strong for a while...and by the time it get's all papery and weak, so's the rest of you, and it's no longer supporting much weight.

or maybe the neck sort of subsumes the rope, like a tree would do to some fence links, or a chain. eventually the rope is a part of the neck...

yeah i just wouldn't know.

by lajo at November 17, 2003 4:20 PM

Unless the damn thing was mummified it would stink. Just ask anyone who visited John Wayne Gacy's hovel.

by anna at November 17, 2003 6:10 PM

Very neat. As a general rule, I hate anyone that studies stuff one could do with a B.A. Writing, art, journalism, etc. Although with such a sweeping generalization I'm sure I'll have to eat my words about two comments from now.

by jean at November 18, 2003 2:47 AM

This sounds like something from the Onion. By the way, did Lindsay mention anywhere that she is in Colombia right now on a business trip? Yes, Colombia, the kidnapping capital of the WORLD. Big sis is slightly concerned.

by Shannon at November 18, 2003 9:14 AM

Don't worry Shan, what would white slave traders want with a hot, blonde-haired, blue-eyed American girl?

by mg at November 18, 2003 9:40 AM

"...sounds like something from the Onion."

Since 90% of the 'article' was, as usual, just me frelling around, I'll take that as a compliment.

by Doyce Testerman at November 18, 2003 9:48 AM

Lindsay will return safe Shan. I've been to Columbia and it isn't that bad. Is she with a group?

by Ezy at November 18, 2003 10:29 AM

I saw this story yesterday and think it neatly sums up what the art world is about: not seeing things for what they really are. This is how some artists can earn a living creating sculptures from dog poo and used chewing gum. It's because we let them.

The "artist" in this case made a posthumous statement, that's for sure.

by Texas T-Bone at November 18, 2003 12:02 PM

I was in Ecuador this summer, and the US government strongly advised against Americans going anywhere near the Colombian border and pinpointed one city that you should DEFINITELY not go to. I went there, and I'm still alive. They just kidnap the rich, older Americans.

by Leaffin at November 18, 2003 1:46 PM

T-Bone, what story was that? I want to read it.

by MrBlank at November 18, 2003 2:16 PM

I think T-Bone meant the story linked in this post.

by jean at November 18, 2003 10:36 PM