« I know it's not my turn but the wife and kid are gone and I am bored | Main | One Enchanted Evening »

snaggle

On The Road

by snaggle at 03:18 PM on May 18, 2003

As much as I bemoan the American love affair with the car as being the major obstacle standing in the way of efficient and cost-effective mass transit in this country, I have to admit: sometimes having your own car is really convenient. Sometime in the next month, when Iíve taken care of pressing business and such, Iím going to have a Kerouac-esque journey across half the country and back again. The purpose of my voyage is multifold. First of all, Iím going to go to L.A. to visit my best friend Jeffy. Then Iím going to Scottsdale, Arizona to visit my sister. Along the way, Iíll have a lot of time to myself for reflection and contemplation, something Iíve needed for a while. Since Iíll be in Rome next semester, constantly with other people, this little trip may need to tide me over for a while. On the way, Iím also going to shoot a lot of photos to document my journey and also some of the general things on the way. I havenít spent much time further west than I am; mostly I go north or east, so I will hopefully be seeing with new eyes.

In keeping with the multiple purpose of my roadtrip, this post has multiple purposes. First of all, if any of you have recommendations of interesting things to see on the route from Ames, Iowa, to L.A., on to Scottsdale, and then back to Iowa, let me know. Also, I am in desperate need of new music to listen to. Iíd be very grateful if any of you would like to make some recommendations for good music I should find. Iíve recently been introduced to the Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, and oh my god. I also need to get the new Alkaline Trio album. If you know anything I should find, let me know; if you can provide sample mp3s or, even better, a CD for me, I could die a happy boy. If any of you want to make me a CD, I would respond in kind.

Lastly, if any of you happen to live on the way, or at least reasonably so, and would like to meet the loon behind these posts, let me know as well and we can arrange to have a cup of coffee or a meal or somesuch.

Hereís to the journey.

john denver, glen campbell, the occasional john mellencamp, harry nilsson, gladys/pips, and for clusterfuck absurdity, when you're lost on some beltway, light a cigarette and listen to Atlantic Starr(no related lyrical them to western front). Because then absurdity will hit you in the face so, and you'll be singing, shoefly don't bother me... and you might get a jolt of existentialism so strong, that ironically, it will make you believe in a higher force.

by LOCKHEED at May 18, 2003 3:47 PM

Speaking of songs(mild thread hijacking):

Dear BadSemites, I have a question: My porcelain doll, (the one who's face is tattooed on my right bicep), well she's recently hit her growth spurt(I've made periodic alterations to her body) and when I first obtained her, she was say, a 4yr old, now she's reached full maturity, due to some 'extra' stuffing, and fine sewing... I remember when all she used to listen to is 'old' Frankie Vallee, and that's all I would let her listen to(except when I took her to see Rigoletto)... the other day when I came home from work, I caught her dancing to the b52's Loveshack. Is it peer pressure? I had a mixed feeling of worry and happiness. Should I let her grow, let her breathe a little? She's seen me in my darkest hours, perhaps, she's tired of my bitterness, and just wants to be a happy girl. Seriously, am I too hard on her?

by LOCKHEED advice at May 18, 2003 4:16 PM

Lock, I think you owe her that. As for that vast expanse of land alluded to in the post, I'd recommend Steamboat Springs, Colorado any season. Ah, the memories.

by Anna at May 18, 2003 5:44 PM

Going on the bands you mentioned there, you should check out Hey Mercedes, and their crazier previous incarnation, Braid. In terms of getting hold of their music, you're in a better position than me, being in the US and all.

by tim at May 19, 2003 3:25 AM

Lock: If you love something, set it free.

Snags: Knowing your taste in music, you'd probably like Death Cab for Cutie (or the much more interesting side project called Postal Service), the All American Rejects, Ben Kweller, John Vanderslice, etc. Send me your address and I'll make a CD for you with tons more of that emo stuff you love. Personally, nothing is better road music than classic rock though.

by mg at May 19, 2003 10:56 AM

Telluride, CO, Moab, UT, Canyonlands and Lake Powell (in all of its environmentally destructive glory).

by Shannon at May 19, 2003 10:59 AM

you must check out bishop allen: http://www.bishopallen.com/
there are mp3s on the website...enjoy!

and though they've recently split, The Mother Hips are fucking awesome. you'd probably like their most recent cd, green hills of earth. plenty of audio goodness on their website.

by JC at May 19, 2003 2:41 PM

Listen to Shannon, she's been all over the damn place. She still smells like Greyhound.

I suggest checking out the Appleseed Casts, very nice, pretty driving music my indie/emo lovin roommate just introduced me to. Um, Skip Hop & Wobble is also good but that's like bluegrass, dunno if you like. It's great to drive to. Um, um, um. Beta Band.

by Linz at May 19, 2003 4:23 PM

I'd suggest Guided By Voices, because a) they're pretty damn excellent, and b) there's literally (well, almost) thousands of songs to pick from if you count Robert Pollard's solo albums and side projects (he's the singer / writer for, and basically is, GBV). They cover pretty much every single possible genre and band style of the past, er, forty years.

I've heard one Death Cab For Cutie song (Champagne From A Paper Cup, which I downloaded; the name [band's name] drew me, and that's the song I found). It wasn't bad. If I were to continue looking into them, where's a good place to start?

by Adam at May 20, 2003 9:13 AM

Yellowstone is still rather unparralled, but it may be a little far north for a straight line trip... Grand Tuetons South of Yellowstone would be a great stop too, Jackson Hole, Wyoming just south of the park is in those mountains, and home to many a pretentious Celebrity...

Otherwise I've heard many good things about Canyonlands and the Moab, and they are high on my list of places to see.

Maybe you can find the arm of that guy who sawed it off a couple weeks ago.... If you're a rock climber, as it isn't under a boulder next to a path or anything...

by ChuckWoolery at May 20, 2003 2:31 PM

I heard they went back and found the arm. Not because there was any chance of sewing it back on, but just because.

by mg at May 20, 2003 2:47 PM

I thought he was up on some cliff face, after all he had to rappell down and stuff after getting himself loose... Not too easy a place to get an arm back from, especially one caught under a boulder...

Maybe they didn't want whatever creatures live in canyonlands to get a taste for human flesh (mountain goats? scorpions? vultures? anything?)

by ChuckWoolery at May 20, 2003 7:13 PM

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the arm turned up on eBay. Or a dozen "Seriously! It's the real thing! Genuine human arm from what's-his-name who had to cut it off!!" arms.

by Adam at May 21, 2003 9:17 AM

I heard they tried to get the arm out from under the rock, but couldn't.

by jean at May 21, 2003 11:21 PM

Here is a list of bands for Sonyl...

The Juliana Theory
Something Corporate >--piano punk rock haha or frat rock
TRANSPLANTS >---crazy original shit, at least I thought at first
The Early November
The Smashing Pumpkins >----try the newer shit that most people threw in the trash. I mean Adore, Machina, and Machina II. It's good stuff when you're in the right mood.
Punchline is a sweet punk band I just found out about
Saves the Day
The Anniversary >--I do not like them but some do. They have a chick yay!
A perfect Circle >---good album if you never listened to it during it's prime
BRAND NEW >---fuck yeah!!!
The movieflife

on the darker side...
Senses Fail
Thursday
From Autumn to Ashes
Hopesfall
COHEED AND CAMBRIA
Blindside
FINCH >---best new band EVER

I just bought Jimmy Eat Worlds older album, STATIC PREVAILS, and I kind of think it sucks. They were struggling at that point... Before their time.
Also I got the new Alkaline but my stupid room mate didn't give it back before I left for home. GRRRRRRRR

there you go fuckers

by Diablien at May 23, 2003 12:41 PM

Oh, god, Adam, that's fucking hilarious... at least it will be until we find out it's true.

by Linz at May 23, 2003 1:02 PM