« Can't we all just talk about strippers? | Main | Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue? »

mg

'tective man he say, say me stab someone down the lane, a licky boom-boom down

by mg at 11:47 AM on February 18, 2003

In one of the great ironies of my life I hate the cold but love snow. New York got about 20 inches (oh baby!) over the last couple days. It was still coming down as I was out wandering the streets taking pictures this morning.

With nearly 2 feet of snow on the ground, and classes cancelled for me tonight, why did I bother to leave bed? Well, I’m bored senseless. So, I went out, braved the weather, enjoyed the snow, and took a couple pictures. Here they are:

Outside my front door is this tree that I love it so much. Despite seeing it every day, I also use it as the desktop on my computer. The snow in the crevices of the bark and along the ivy, just struck me as very pretty.

Mr. Plow, that’s his name. That name again is Mr. Plow.

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Dead of Night.

The absolute best thing about getting tons of snow in New York City is that you get to jaywalk without threat of death. One of my earliest memories as a child was walking down the center of Northern Boulevard, a busy six-lane street near my house, and not seeing a single car on the road. I’m always reminded of that every time it snows.

Sorry baby, but I had to crash that Honda.

You can’t really tell, but this dog is wearing a sweater. Not a doggie sweater, but a straight out of Kurt Kobain’s estate sale cardigan sweater. I took a couple pictures but the stupid dog kept moving. I only included this one at all because you can see his butt. Dog butt is funny.

Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves. Other people wear their heart balloons on their trees.

That’s a VW Beetle underneath all that snow. I guess the dome really is a feat of architecture.

White snow. Big yellow taxi.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

About a fifteen years ago the New York City Board of Education decided to combine Lincoln and Washington’s birthdays into one week long holiday. This was done mostly as a way to save money, because they couldn’t afford to pay teachers. The Board could turn off the heat in all the city school buildings for that week, and just tack the extra days onto the end of the school year. The only reason I bring it up is because this is President’s week. Two feet of school would surely have closed schools yesterday and today (and maybe even tomorrow), which means New York’s children got ripped off.

A decade ago, I’d be one of those kids, pissed off so bad I’d spend my week off causing vast amounts of property damage. Now, I just laugh, and appreciate my day off.

I am so jealous!! Could you mail some of that snow southward?

by Linz at February 18, 2003 12:18 PM

I think the snow would just be water by the time it got to you. Besides, if I was going to be giving you any whiteish liquid, it wouldn't be water.

by mg at February 18, 2003 1:08 PM

Pancake batter?

by Linz at February 18, 2003 1:36 PM

No, LINZ, you silly child. The "whiteish liquid" in question is pimple ooze.

by Eviltom at February 18, 2003 1:39 PM

I loved the VW Beetle pic! Thank you, MG, for these wonderful, wonderful images.

by Lucy at February 18, 2003 1:54 PM

Same here. I grew up in that neighborhood, so it was a real "trip down memory lane" for me!

by nancy at February 18, 2003 3:36 PM

I once frequented a prostitute in that neighborhood so ... OH MY GOD, Naughty Nancy is that YOU?

by eff at February 18, 2003 4:07 PM

Those pictures sucked. Where were the titties?

by Eviltom at February 18, 2003 4:09 PM

The rain's a comin. Those cars aren't moving until spring thaw.

by quicksilver at February 18, 2003 4:10 PM

On the far right of the doggy-butt picture, you could see a ghost of a man in Kayani's. That's not a living patron, can't be! He's got a smile, because he know's he's dead! MG, I think you have a Magic camera that photographs wandering spirits. I'll place a starting Bid at $31.25. Can anyone best that? Huh?

by LOCKHEED at February 18, 2003 4:43 PM

Damn Lockheed, I didn't notice that at all. that smiling face is really creepy. What is even weirded is that I uploaded the original image for that picture. All of the others I uploaded the cropped version. If I'd have uploaded the cropped version of the doggy butt picture (which I'd meant to do), you'd never have been able to notice the face. I'm really freaked out now.

by mg at February 18, 2003 4:54 PM

Here is a link to streaming NY street cameras. You can see some more snow. MG, did you know that you were being watched? There are so many cameras up on this site.

by MrBlank at February 18, 2003 5:13 PM