« the rhythm of the street sure knocks you off your feet | Main | To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky With One Hand Waving Free »

mg

is this what you wanted, sammy hagar? dave lost is hairline, but you lost your cool

by mg at 12:59 PM on February 25, 2003

Bad Sam celebrated a couple numerological milestones recently. The first, which happened sometime last week, was breaking 750,000 unique visits. It was around last year at this time when we hit 250K. That means traffic this past year doubled the traffic from the year and a half before it. And I thought those were pretty damned impressive numbers at the time.

The second milestone, which happened sometime yesterday, was breaking 2,000,000 total pages views. This isn’t nearly as big a deal, but 2,000,000 of anything, no matter what, is pretty impressive. Like, if I said I just ran a batch, it wouldn’t be that remarkable, but if I told you I just sent 2,000,000 million spermies to a watery grave, well, that’d be something to have a parade about.

Two and a half years ago, when I started this site and struggled in the relative obscurity of single digit hits for months, I secretly hoped for this kind of success. But little did I ever imagine that things ever get so damn big.

And, if you think I’m all about hits, I think I’ve calmed down about all that since my hit whoring days. In fact, I didn’t even notice that we were coming up on of a million visits until after the fact. I’ve been much more aware of the amazing quality and range of discussion around here recently. It’s one thing to get a flood of people stopping by, its quite another to have them stay and become the kind of “super commenter” we’ve been so blessed to find in all of you.

Thanks so much.

The next big numerological events will be 1,000,000 unique visits, and 10,000 comments, which, if things progress like they have been, should happen sometime this summer. Now, that will be something I’ll make a big deal about when it rolls around, maybe a party. Anyone want to visit NYC sometime in July/August?

Okay, I realized shortly before posting this that 725,000 is NOT of a million. Instead of changing the post to save what little dignity I have remaining, I decided to post it up as is.

You may begin the merciless mocking now.

by mg at February 25, 2003 1:02 PM

ha HA!

by JC at February 25, 2003 1:33 PM

how's that for merciless mocking? :-p or how about, "nice math, einstein"? whatever...congrats on the success, man. bad sam's the highlight of my dismal mornings...the "marie" to my "donny" first cup of coffee...ah, fuck it.

by JC at February 25, 2003 1:39 PM

Speaking of Marie Osmond.

by mg at February 25, 2003 1:49 PM

That looks like you and your sister!

by Eviltom at February 25, 2003 2:31 PM

ewwwww!!!!

Also, I can't believe you said "damn." You and your potty mouth.

by Linz at February 25, 2003 3:00 PM

Yeah, and can you believe that's the same mouth I use to make out with my mom? Uhm, forget I said that.

by mg at February 25, 2003 3:21 PM

Congrats MG. Bad Sam is one hell of a site so success should, naturally, come in droves.
D.C. to NYC isn't too far to drive, for a party, in my world. Keep me posted.
You will have to stay after school and practice your math though.

by Ezy at February 25, 2003 3:50 PM

Fullfilling, a feeling I haven't felt since all those Ivy league offers. BadSam, I must say is Impressive in its design, and especially, like someone had mentioned a few months ago, the actual Dynamic between the Posts, and commentors, because the commentors even get to seriously debate with each other. Mazal Tov MG. I'm glad to have been allowed a full citizenship status at the nation of BadSam, especially at this rather cool time. P>S>

by LOCKHEED at February 25, 2003 4:08 PM

I wonder how many hours it is to NY from MO... I'll have to check Mapquest and see.

by MrBlank at February 25, 2003 4:24 PM

Yeah! Cool shit.

by sydney at February 25, 2003 4:39 PM

Hey, MG! Congrats! You should *totally* throw a party when you hit 1,000,000. I will brintg the pyrotechnics!

by Eviltom at February 25, 2003 5:24 PM

We're there. Actually we usually visit Queens a couple times a year anyway. But I am confused by the math. As it currently reads, the number is 750,000, which is 3/4 million. The magic of editing?

by Anna at February 25, 2003 6:24 PM

A party in NYC in July August whould be cool. I think I live about a week's drive from there though. Might have to hitch a ride with MrBlank, provided that MO is Montana, (I've never been good with state abreviations) as I'm Just North of there in Alberta

by ChuckWoolery at February 25, 2003 8:02 PM

MO is Missouri, or Misery. It doesn't matter.

by MrBlank at February 25, 2003 11:14 PM

What's MOntana then? MontanA (MA?)

by ChuckWoolery at February 26, 2003 12:14 AM

MA is Massachusetts. MT is Montana. isn't everyone supposed to know the US's postal codes? c'mon... us being the most important country in the world, everyone should know them. ;)
As a sidenote, in 5th grade (maybe 4th), i had to learn this song with all 50 states listed in alphabetical order. I can still get to about Minnesota before trailing off. Snaggle probably learned it, too (since we were at the same school), though for some reason, i can't quite picture him still knowing the words. btw, where is he these days?

by Leaffin at February 26, 2003 12:49 AM

Yes, please keep us posted about any possible parties, MG. I've been supposed to visit NYC forever; it would be great to meet BadSam people while I'm there, too.

by jean at February 26, 2003 2:32 AM

I would be totally up for a party in NYC, do some big pimpin and spend some cheese. I could car pool with MrBlank or fly. That would have to be cheaper than driving though not as interesting to be sure.

I've only been to New York once and I didnt get to see too much because i fucked up my ankle the first night i was in town. I fell off the curb in Times Square. Some homeless dude was fucking with me, I turned around and SPLAT! I spent the next five days hobbling around the Marriot Marquis and the near environs of Times Square. The farthest I got from my hotel was the Circle in the Square to see True West with Philip Seymour Hoffman and John C. Riley.

True story: I am not a devotee of capitalism but I am a fan of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. So one of the things I wanted to see in NYC was the WTC. but my ankle hurt so bad I put it off and I actually said to one of my buddies, "I'll catch them some other time, it isnt like they are going anywhere."

This is verifiable. I really wish I had overcome the pain and the shitty weather to see the towers.

by eff at February 26, 2003 11:14 AM

Damn, it looks like this thing might actually happen. How about I make a very tentative plan for doing this the first weekend in August? I know I'll be here either way, so anyone who wants to visit New York can, at the very least, buy me a drink, even if a much bigger event never gets off the ground.

by mg at February 26, 2003 11:32 AM

MG, you're supposed to be the host. We shouldn't have to pay for anything ;p

by Lucy at February 26, 2003 12:01 PM

Everyone, just f'ing agree to buy MG a drink, goddammit! After all he's done for you? Listen, everyone should buy him a drink. That might be 20 or 30 drinks. After MG is all sober and loose, everyone who is so inclined can run a train on MG's butthole. I will be there with the digital camera to document the moment.

by Eviltom at February 26, 2003 1:26 PM

Oh, my mistake. Carry on, then.

by Lucy at February 26, 2003 2:22 PM

Run a train on MG's butthole? Now I'm having second thoughts.

by Anna at February 26, 2003 5:19 PM

Keep me posted. A road trip would be fun, if I could carpool.

MO to NY according to mapquest:
Total Estimated Time: 17 hours, 31 minutes
Total Distance: 1074.00 miles

or get a plane ticket.

by MrBlank at February 26, 2003 9:04 PM

Excuse me, but Eviltom misspelled "goddamnit." Thought everyone should know.

by douchenation at February 27, 2003 3:41 AM

You print me up a fake ID I'd be happy to buy you a drink, as a pseudo-regular aspiring commenter guy i think i would be a damn good party guest... for a minor... and since i live close to NYC... mmmmmmmmm party of old people.. and while i'm not sure of what MG's mistake was... ha ha man i swear my kid brother who doesnt' exist and is mentally retarded even knew that you were wrong there... what are you some kind of moron... a wonderful genius moron... err... did i say that outloud?

by LostSoul at February 27, 2003 6:57 AM

Choo-choo!

by Joseph at February 27, 2003 1:33 PM

Actually, a batch of 2 million spermies is quite low--you should have yourself checked. You know how to tell if your sperm count is good? The girl has to chew before she swallows. All right, I'm going to bed now.

by douchenation at February 28, 2003 2:42 AM