« mobile commodities trading | Main | oh, look what you've done to this rock 'n' roll clown »

With MPD You're Never Alone

by anna at 07:54 PM on December 05, 2002

Hi, it's me, Sappy Sincere Anna as opposed to Sassy Snide Anna who is bound & gagged in the root cellar.

I truly enjoy posting in Bad Samaritan. Partly because this whole blogging thing is new to me and partly because I have no other creative outlet. And here I use the term "creative" in its loosest sense.

Nor do I harbor any burning desire to launch Anna.com or some such contrivance. For one thing, like any purveyor of arguable art or literature, I crave feedback. It warms my heart when my post sparks a slew of comments, even if it's negative or slanderous. For another, there's a palpable camaraderie here---good feelings all around, as MG put it. Were I to start my own site, I'm afraid it would languish unbidden out in some remote outpost like a forlorn orphan. Besides, I haven't a clue as to the mechanics required.

But most of all, there is an incredibly diverse talent pool here. It begins with MG, the pooh-ba with a sardonic viewpoint on every subject known to man. For instance, he once professed that any man who'd bugger another, even in a three-way, is gay. You've got the vivacious Linz, whom I suspect lacks her own blog not for a lack of technical prowess or indifference as in my case but because she enjoys posting here. Then again, for all I know, she maintains a thriving URL (does anyone know what that stands for?) Certainly she possesses the requisite wordsmith skills. Eff posts regularly as well in his inimitable style. Then there's Goose, who @ 19 is a relative newcomer. His shit slays me. Ditto for another guy who showed up about the same time as Goose, Doyle I believe. Haven't heard much from him lately though. Uberchick pops up episodically with killer NYC anecdotes. I am to them as the Three Stooges are to the Three Tenors.

There's also an array of semi-retired authors who go way back. Many of whom are profiled on MG's Authors Page. All told, MT lists 28 Bad Samaritans, in addition to scads o' faithful commentators, including Lucy, EvilTom, K.D. and a host of others who''ll remain nameless here as my memory is shot.

A while back MG groused about all the "hits" those boring political sites attract. He also harrumphed about all the attention Wired lavishes on them. He even joked about transforming this apolitical sanctuary into a war-blog. He then emerged from a brief hiatus to expound anew 'bout this publication and Bloggy awards. I never even knew such things existed. Nor did I know that BS had been snubbed repeatedly by these elitists, but MG evidently did.

Regardless of the arena, critics and bestowers of awards invariably miss the boat. Consider this: Of the top 50 grossing movies of all time, a mere two took Best Picture honors. Try to guess which ones.

Anyway, here's my point: MG's site is the best around, bar none. It seems to me he'd like to see some awards and recognition. (God knows he's got the traffic going on.) So let's crank out some stellar material that will make it happen. Come on team, let's win one for the MGipper.

Or not. Sounds way too much like work for my taste. Fuck that.

Damn. Sassy Snide Anna escaped. Arrgghh@&*.

The problem with the Bloggie Awards this year - as best we could deduce, anyway - is that they defined "blog" as "site that focuses primarily on linking to websites and providing commentary thereon". Something like that, anyway. Which is a real tazer to the gonads if you actually care about content instead of daily "omg l@@k at teh funy flash amination!!!11one" links.

That's the ego-preserving story we came up with, anyway, and we're sticking to it.

by Antwon at December 5, 2002 8:14 PM

Antwon, thanks for the input not that I the uninitiated idiot have any idea as to the specifics of what you're alluding to. My point was, what are these Bloggie Awards and how to do we go about snatching them away from the deserving.

by annna at December 5, 2002 9:39 PM

bloggie awards??? we're here to be bad and show off our bad, not win awards. right, or did i have too much sugar???

by überchick at December 5, 2002 10:00 PM

"For one thing, like any purveyor of arguable art or literature, I crave feedback." I understand the feeling very well. My online journal is only visited by a scant few and even they provide very little, if any, feedback. This frustrates me because sometimes (like, once every aurora borealis) I feel like I have written something good or witty and I have no one to shower me with adoration on account of it. On the other hand, I wonder if knowing that other people are reading would affect my writing much.

by Lucy at December 6, 2002 2:02 AM

Lucy, here I go again padding my comment total by posting my own. But it's true, you can't post the 1st one yourelf any more than you'd take someone's last beer. So where is your site, girl?

by annna at December 6, 2002 7:55 AM

Ha! While you are right that I post here because I enjoy it, you overestimate me, Ms. Anna... I am totally clueless about the "coding" or whatever it is that brings websites to life. I don't know what URL means either... I'm very happy that mg lets me hang out here with the smart kids.

uberchick... I hear you on not trying to win popularity contests, but winning an award would "show off our bad" whether you consider it prestigious or not. I don't really know the premises of these contests, Anna just wants the world to know that mg rocks.

by Linz at December 6, 2002 9:02 AM

by Lucy at December 6, 2002 9:33 AM

Having a site fall apart is easy if you're boring like me. I sit in front of a computer for more than 7 hours a day, and yet when I sit down to write about the gas-mask wearing freak I met on the subway (or did she know something I didn't know...) I just come up with "Uhh. I saw someone." Inspiration comes at wierd times.

by quicksilver at December 6, 2002 10:35 AM

yeah, i guess it would be nice to win awards, but i just like writing and being read. i suppose it doesn't mean much to me because usually, those awards are more about popularity contests than anything else.

by überchick at December 6, 2002 12:02 PM

I like this site.

by Shannon at December 7, 2002 9:21 AM

Hello this is really information for you!

by Adipex 37.5mg at December 18, 2006 5:16 AM