« every thang's gonna be all white! | Main | ďGuilty! Guilty! Guilty!Ē (Part Deux) »

mg

you vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched

by mg at 09:49 PM on March 12, 2002

Whenever I think humanity has reached a new low, something new comes along to make you reevaluate what it means to be inhumane. Whether it be Infamous Celebrity Boxing, a ballplayer caught stealing his teammates glove to sell on eBay, or an anti-violence celebration breaking out in fisticuffs, there is always something worse around the corner. Whether flying a plane into a building, killing thousands of people for over some silly dogma, drowning your own children, or letting a man slowly bleed to death in your car port, the depths to which people will sink is constantly sinking lower.

Iíd like to say that there is no longer anything that will shock me. But I know it isnít true. What is shocking today will pale in comparison to what I learn about the world tomorrow. Someone will come along and attach jumper cables to their three year-old child.

Itís gotten so bad Iíve stopped going to church. Sure, I never was much into church in the first place, but Iíve all but forsaken any hope of ever getting close to god. Every service Iíve attended in the past year has claimed the end times were near. Personally, I hate hearing things like that. There are no end times, or, more accurately, we are always in end times.

Doomsayers are always claiming to recognize signs of the apocalypse, but the world was no more likely to end at the end of the first millennium as it was the last. It is just a way for religious organizations to scare people into giving up money and showing up on Sunday. People should be good because being kind, compassionate and humane is the only way to go about life, not because they fear an ever-looming judgment.

And really, life as we know it is constantly it is always ending, because it is impossible to know the future. Still, a couple years ago, when faced with the question of ďWhat Now?Ē I had an answer. Today, I donít.

I meant this post to be lighthearted and gay. I meant to ask everyone what they viewed as the telltale sign of the decline of society and the end of the world as we know it. I expected answers like NíSync appearing in Star Wars Episode II, Temptation Island, and David Spadeís entire career.

Somewhere along the way, I obviously got diverted.

Maybe you noticed, but Iíve been finding it hard to be lighthearted recently. Try as I might to be otherwise, I feel like Iíve been depressing as hell the last couple weeks. Maybe Iím shooting for a 2003 Antibloggie for Most Depressing Blog. Maybe Iím in a horrible funk with no way out.

Either way, Iím going to put out the question I meant to initially pose: what is your sign of the apocalypse? It can be something that has happened already, or something that will be surely, in your mind, a sign of Judgment Day. It can be lighthearted, silly, depressing, or whatever you want to say, but say it, because I need to hear Iím not the only rational person feeling this way.

Assuming that I'm a rational person.

by mg at March 12, 2002 10:04 PM

Afraid to go to church for fear your prients will be killed in front of you, and perhaps yourself shot...

I agree with you, its scary, and we are all fearful of things we can't see.

I personally do not believe in confession anymore. Admitting I didn't attend mass to a priest who just sexually abused a boy--something is amiss somewhere..

by toxiclabrat at March 13, 2002 10:21 AM

to be honest, the only way i can maintain any sense of sanity is to stop watching and reading the news. some of it slips in despite that, but i feel better not knowing most of this stuff.

yes, the world is going crazy.my personal belief is that it's the chemicals in our environment, in our clothing, furniture and building materials. we are all breathing deadly chemicals 24/7, but when i mention this rather obvious fact, people look at me like i'm nuts.

wasn't rome's downfall blamed on the lead in their goblets?

by lavonne at March 13, 2002 12:50 PM

It is surely a sign of the end times that Luke Perry and Malcom Jamal Warner have their own TV show about, what else, a post apocolyptic world.

by mg at March 13, 2002 1:51 PM

i've been predicting the end of the world since, i believe, the disco era. and now it's twenty some years later, and disco is back (if indeed it ever left) and here we still are.

by kd at March 13, 2002 3:23 PM

oh i'm sorry, i thought i was already in hell. you mean the rapture hasn't happened yet?

by Choire at March 13, 2002 3:34 PM

I don't think that the world has reached a new low. People have always been downright evil. There have always been terrible things happening through out history: Valad the impaler (you know that guy vampires were modeled after), The Egyptians would bury in the tomb the entire staff of slaves alive with their fallen ruler, the bomb on Hiroshima, and the massive amounts of lynching in the south. The list could go on forever. I donít think weíve gotten worse. I think our weapons have gotten bigger and we have access to a news media that can send any story around the world instantly.

by MrBlank at March 13, 2002 6:58 PM

Right, the instant media is a big part of it all. The Internet is so winderfil for spreading information instantly. Unfortunatly, a goodly portion of that information is terribly depressing.

by mg at March 13, 2002 8:10 PM

Right and right again.

It is a well reported phenomenon that watching/reading bad news creates pressimism by transferring a feeling of helplessness. It is the randomness of terrible events and the implication that bad things could happen to anyone of us at any moment that creates the feeling of helplessness. End result: depression and gloom and real expectation of disaster.

Look at your glass. Half empty, half full or too much glass? Don't dwell on it. Just drink the water.

Or turn off the news.

by BtC at March 14, 2002 9:06 AM

And by that I don't mean to say that you should keep your head in the sand and ignore important events and revelations. If something happens that you must know about, you'll know it in a big hurry.

The majority of us were not in front of TVs or radios on 9/11. The first plane hit at 8:48am. How long did it take until you heard about it?

I'm just saying: Don't be a slave to bad news. If you find the reports troublesome or worrisome, instead of waiting for further developments think what you can do to change that for yourself or your world.

Think global. Act local.

by BtC at March 14, 2002 9:14 AM

And as far as the www's part in this:

One very positive thing about the interent experience is the discovery of common ground with others and the resulting validation of opinions and orientation. The dark flip side of that is continuous reinforcement of those viewpoints to the extent that alternate infomation is ignored, unconsidered or undervalued.

by BtC at March 14, 2002 9:22 AM

why did vlad go mental and drink the dead peoples blood coz thats discusting

by kerri holmes at November 18, 2003 12:31 PM

I think that if you all just looked in the Bible COde, you would understand that the world is going to end in 2015 in a firey collision with a comet. See, basically this who theory of bible code interpretation came about so orthodox jews could pretend that the bible has real scientific evidence to support it. well you could believe me, or the orthodox jews. if you believe the jews, you should go pray for a couple years until we all incinerate. Or, if you want to listen to me, you could go rob as many banks, bang as many prostitutes and streak as much as you want, because the world inst going to end. i know this because i am the supreme master of space and time. duh...

by Melanie Smith at April 17, 2004 8:41 PM