« link of the day | Main | Living alone sucks. »

mg

i said "welcome to the me world"

by mg at 02:17 AM on March 27, 2002

So, here it is, the next phase of Bad Samaritan. Welcome. As promised, this is so much more than a mere redesign.

This redesign has been in the works for months. No one really liked either of my previous mock-ups, so I gave up on it. And then, a couple weeks ago, I had an inspiration. If you are into that sort of thing, you can check out some of the stops ( 1 | 2 | 3 ) along the way.

Actually, Iíve been done with the design, code, and templatization for more than a week. There is an actual concept behind this redesign, and I want to explain it, but Iíve had so much trouble putting the hows, whats, and whys into words.

And youíd still be staring at that yucky 6 month-old design today if werenít for someone (whoís wisdom is only surpassed by her beauty), slapped me across the face, Moonstruck style, and told me to just go ahead get it done already.

So, I got it done.

Besides, everything should make sense; everybody who got a sneak peak understood what I was going for before I explained a thing. But, please, leave a comment if youíve got any questions, concerns or praise. Especially if youíve got some of the praise. Additionally, I think everything is reasonably cross browser/platform friendly, but if it isnít, please let me know.

So, again, welcome to Bad Samaritan.

Very cool. I like it much. Kinda reminiscent of something I had planned a long time ago for a website far, far away, but implemented here much more cleanly.

[this is good]

by Antwon at March 27, 2002 6:24 AM

Well done, my friend. I like....

I wasn't expecting to see the change this morning, so it took me a few seconds to realize that I was, in fact, in the right place. I do miss the original design, but I definitely think this will grow on me....

by northstar at March 27, 2002 8:38 AM

excellent excellent!

by Eviltom at March 27, 2002 10:54 AM

Damn smart redesign. Smooth, slick, and certainly worth ripping o -- I mean, studying.

by Doyce at March 27, 2002 11:10 AM

Great! I really like how you've organized the content and combined BS with BSnext.

As usual, there are a few quarks with my mac browser. In IE 5 the gray bar where it shows the permalink and comments links is missing so the white text doesn't show up because it is on the white background. I pointed it out with a red arrow in the screenshot. NS6 looks 98% like it should. I wouldn't worry about it. Screenshots are linked below:

Even so, macs still rock... :P

by MrBlank at March 27, 2002 11:36 AM

wow. this rocks. you are such the info-architecht-design-studbunny.

by kd at March 27, 2002 1:12 PM

Well..looked great until I clicked on the comments, and realized they were pop-ups..while nice...they suck.

by MrEnigma at March 27, 2002 3:06 PM

Well...I love the layout..besides the pop-up comments..way to convert a lot of stuff into a simple design.

by MrEnigma at March 27, 2002 3:14 PM

good thing you listened to me. it looks great, michael. well done.

by miss b at March 27, 2002 3:16 PM

You can get to the comments two ways, through the popup, or the "link it" button. The only reason I did popups is because I thought it was a bit more user friendly, and also would lighten the (heavy) load placed on our host.

by mg at March 27, 2002 3:37 PM

i love it!!! great job of organizing and merging.

by lavonne at March 27, 2002 3:57 PM

Very, very nice. Much cleaner than the previous incarnations I've seen, too. I for one like pop-up comments. Excellent work, mg.

by Muad'Dib at March 27, 2002 4:10 PM

Bravo, I say.
Popup comments: Yes! All comments should be done this way. There is nothing more irritating than a seperate comments page - especially when the original post you're commenting on isn't even visible.
I really like how you've integrated the recent comments into the pull-down menus. So often, comments seem like an afterthought, just something tossed off. But this makes them a more important and accesible part of the site content.
I like the other little touches, such as how the background of the little section icons and the header match the colour of the particular section someone is in. All very nice.
I am not a big fan of serif fonts for Web page text, but that's just my own personal nitpicking preference.

by Charles at March 27, 2002 11:55 PM

Excellent.

I may have to hire you.

by Lizzie at March 28, 2002 5:01 AM

Oh wow! I love it, mg. It's just brilliant, I'm serious. Very good job!!

by skits at March 28, 2002 10:56 AM