« Living alone sucks. | Main | When do we stop looking back?? »

mg

goodbye to love

by mg at 01:41 PM on March 27, 2002

"I'll say goodbye to love
No one ever cared if I should live or die
Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by
And all I know of love is how to live without it
I just can't seem to find it

So I've made my mind up I must live my life alone
And though it's not the easy way
I guess I've always known
I'd say goodbye to love

There are no tomorrows for this heart of mine
Surely time will lose these bitter memories
And I'll find that there is someone to believe in
And to live for something I could live for

All the years of useless search
Have finally reached an end
Loneliness and empty days will be my only friend
From this day love is forgotten
I'll go on as best I can

What lies in the future is a mystery to us all
No one can predict the wheel of fortune as it falls
There may come a time when I will see that I've been wrong
But for now this is my song

And it's goodbye to love
I'll say goodbye to love"

me too.

by kd at March 29, 2002 6:35 PM

I wish I hadn't posted this. Better yet, I wish I wasn't feeling it. Stupid Carpenters. Stupid Love.

by mg at March 29, 2002 7:32 PM

I feel really bad since I read this. I wish you did not feel this way and there is nothing I can do to make you change your mind...well sure there are a "few" things but short of going to NY with a fredricks of Hollywood outfit, bottle of wine and well me, there is nothing I could do to change the way you feel. I hope it does not last, you deserve better Mg, you really do....

by Pristine at March 30, 2002 3:05 PM

I do deserve better. I know that up here (points to head), but it is sort of hard to feel it down here (points to --no, not there perverts-- heart).

by mg at March 30, 2002 3:39 PM

when i read the lyrics i was kinda hoping that you were listening to some cover version of the song -- for some reason the thought of you sitting around listening to the actual carpenters is... upsetting.

by kd at March 31, 2002 8:58 PM

I wasn't actually listening to the Carpenters. I wasn't listening to the song at all, it was just playing in my head. The version I was thinking of was by American Music Club (which is hardly less sappy). It is from a compilation of Carpenters songs redone my indie rockers like Shonen Knife, Mathew Sweet, Sonic Youth, that I'd suggest everyone run out and grab. You could probably find it cheap at most used cd stores.

by mg at March 31, 2002 9:54 PM

thank goodness. *whew*. and all that.

take care, dude. really.

by kd at April 1, 2002 1:38 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with listening to the Carpenters. Karen was an outstanding vocalist - considered one of the finest of all time. The musicianship was excellent.

In the case of "Goodbye To Love" yes the lyric is somewhat dark. But it's musically very well performed and once again Karen nails every emotion perfectly on this song. And Tony Peluso's guitar solo is excellent - as a matter of fact many guitar web sites list this as one of the best guitar solos in popular music.

by Rick Henry at October 21, 2005 11:44 AM