« Welcome back to your cell... the inmates have missed you | Main | On Icebreaking: Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker. »

mg

three-minute blog

by mg at 08:13 AM on September 04, 2001

I was making myself a three-minute egg for breakfast this morning and I came to a startling revelation; the word “egg” sounds very similar to word “blog.” And, considering how tasty three-minute eggs are, I decided I’d try my hand at writing a Three-Minute Blog. Surely a Three-Minute Blog entry would be equally as tasty and nutritious!

What is a Three-Minute Blog? Well, it is a post that takes exactly three minutes to write. No more. No less.

You start writing about anything that might pop into your head, and when the three-minute time limit is up you have to stop. Even if you haven’t finished your sentence, or if you get caught in the middle of a really funny joke without a punch line, you are done. Then you post it up, warts (spelling, grammatical, and factual errors) and all, for the world to see.

(To tell the truth, this is just a very narcissistic way to get hits to my site. In my ever-growing quest for fame, glory and Internet Rockstardom, I’ve decided to try my hand and meme creation. And even though certain people find them offense, they’ve got their purpose, which is to bring the weblogging community closer. It is also to generate hits for the creator of the meme, me. And like Jennifer Lopez’ ass, those are two purposes I can get behind.)

So, here it is, the first ever three-minute blog:

Last night I rented The talented Mr. Ripley. I it to is the most annoying movie I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen plenty of annoying movies, and that is just in the past couple months.

Take A.I. for example; I kept thinking through the first 3 hours that it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. Then the last twenty minutes came along, with the aliens, ice and DNA and I felt liking wlaking out. I’ve never walked out of a movie, not even Three Ninjas.

Then there was Final Fantasy. The computer animation was phantastic. The plot was less so (and it would take far more than three minutes to get into that). But, can I tell you how annoying, not to mention distracting, it was to hear Alec Baldwin, Donald Sutherland and that one chick from Frasier’s voice coming out of bodies that didn’t belong to them?

But The Talented Mr. Ripley took the cake. Normally, I have no problem getting into a stories that has an unlikable central character. I actually…

***

I don’t know about the rest of you, but reading back over my first attempt at a Three-Minute Blog, I can’t help but think this post is pure gold. Seriously though, these will hopefully get better as I get used to doing them, and as other people catch on and start writing there own Three-Minute Blogs. And, if you do decide to try your hand at a Three-Minute Blogs, you should send me a note and I’ll link you up; which should be reason enough for you to want to try out this creative new art form.

I too have been playing around with the idea of 'speed blogging'...

however, since i have no idea how to cook anything other than broths, i have been experimenting with the three-hour blog...

by minja ninjarama at September 4, 2001 9:57 AM

Hmmm I am still stuck on the three min. egg...as a mater of I am going to get me one right now....

by Pristine at September 4, 2001 12:58 PM

is that the purpose of a meme? if so, then i stand corrected - i thought the purpose of a meme was to fill space when you have no unique content and can't crank out an idea to save your soul. my congratulations to you for your innovative creation which challenges the little grey cells to get busy and produce an original thought. i mean this in the most complimentary way: it does not sicken me.

by bobthecorgi at September 4, 2001 2:39 PM

This is my Three Minute Feedback:

by Tom at September 4, 2001 6:27 PM

Oh, c'mon, sex does *not* take three whole minutes. Forty-five, fifty seconds tops! Ahh, I get it, you're just messing with my mind - three minute sex. Ha-ha, very funny.

by kd at September 4, 2001 6:40 PM

3 min. sex??? OH NO WAY! 45 seconds? Oh my NO WAY! (what the heck happened while I ate my 3 min. egg anyway???) No lets work on THREE HOUR Sex! Tom, three min. sex is a bad word babes!!! VERY BAD WORD! :0) (there can be other three min. things AROUND sex though...hmmm...)

by Pristine at September 4, 2001 6:55 PM

Hmmm..sex and a daily blog usually take me more than 3 minutes, but less than three hours (since I'm all old now and stuph.)

by Charles at September 4, 2001 7:31 PM

While I agree that the ending of AI could have been done much better, those things were not aliens. They were very advanced robots (or at least Kubrick's intention for the ending was that they be robots).

by justin at September 4, 2001 9:21 PM

You know, as I was watching the movie, I initially thought they were aliens. Then after I got of the theatre and was trying to decipher what the hell happened to the last 20 minutes of the film, I realised they must have been advanced robots. I got to talking about it with my friends, and they all insisted that they robots were, in fact, aliens.

I still believe them to be robots, however, thinking them aliens seems much funnier. I don't know why, but I've begun to use the phrase "And then the aliens showed up..." at the end of any story I'm in the middle of telling that isn't going exactly the way I planned it to.

When I write my first novel(eventually), I wont include any aliens in it. It'll receive lots of critical praise, and I'll get all nervous while writing my second novel, so much so that I get writer's block and can't finish it. I'll include aliens in that one.

by mg at September 4, 2001 9:52 PM

Errrm, my nuts are itchy.

that took 3 minutes.

it takes longer to scratch the aliens off them.

by magpie at February 18, 2002 10:53 AM

NO, Im serious, they really really ARE itchy!!!!!

GAHHH!!!!

by magpie at February 18, 2002 10:54 AM

Errrm, my nuts are itchy.

that took 3 minutes.

it takes longer to scratch the aliens off them.

by magpie at February 18, 2002 10:54 AM

NO, Im serious, they really really ARE itchy!!!!!

GAHHH!!!!