« link of the day | Main | link of the day »

mg

riddle me this

by mg at 11:56 PM on September 16, 2001

There is a heavy discourse revolving around a certain post of mine from earlier this week. There are 26 responses to that post here, and responses on at least a half a dozen other sites that I know about. The attention is nice, I never thought I’d be famous, but it is nice, for a while, to be infamous.

While I don’t think anything will be resolved (but I encourage people to keep talking), all you liberal types got me thinking. If you all don’t believe U.S. military action is the proper response to the bombings of September 11th, what is our proper reply? How do you suggest we get out of this without further bloodshed? And mind you, sticking daisies in rifle barrels has already been done.

Wow, in the flurry of all the stuff that's been written, which has been hard to keep up with even though I did essentially nothing but surf the 'net, both at home and in lieu of working, I missed most of that. Kind of hard to get through it all. Maybe a line-height adjustment in the stylesheet? Or template or whatever. Hurts my eyes, some of those long ones.

Feelings on this are running quite high. I remain committed to patriotism, not nationalism, without hatred. I will not back down from my assertation that we need to stand and fight, to defend ourselves from attacks on our soil, but I do believe we should tread lightly outside our borders - attack these terrorist camps with as close to surgical precision as we can muster - because the oppressed people of Afghanistan don't need to be bombed back into the stone age - as one Afgan-American is quoted, ‘we're already there’. The Taliban regime is a handful of psychos that must be stopped, and America does have support from our allies on at least that front.

by kd at September 17, 2001 9:59 AM

It would also help if there were paragraph breaks in real long comments (Pristine) :). One long run on paragraph tends to resemble a rant. A bit more structure would make it easier to read. People may also take it more seriously if it looked more thought out. A 10% increase in line height would help too. My 2¢

by Josh (mrblank) at September 17, 2001 2:12 PM

Thank you Mr. Blank, I totally agree...

by Pristine at September 17, 2001 6:41 PM

If ya'll haven't noticed, I did increase the line heights. Is it enough? Seems plenty to me, but it's all about your pleasure, not mine, so let me know.

On another note, I asked the question about what to do besides military action, and no one has suggested another option. Strange.

by mg at September 17, 2001 7:15 PM

This site is a great resource for web design – particularly web typography.

by Josh (mrblank) at September 17, 2001 9:35 PM

Line height is great - much easier to read.

I will quote Henry Kissinger: “This is an integrated attack and it must be met with an integrated response”.

It will take our military to accomplish some of what we need to do, but I'm thinking, not your traditional military strategy (i.e. bomb the crap out of everything, take out roads, communications, etc). We have the satellite technology to pinpoint areas of terrorist-camp type activity, and target these places exclusively. Sanctions and incentives to neighboring countries to turn over the guilty parties will also help.

But since we also have terrorist cells active all over the world, it's going to take a concerted effort by every developed nation that has a stake in this (by which I mean, every developed nation) to seek out and prosecute them for their criminal activities.

The bad part: one of the best ways to trace these activities is through the sort of surveillance that gets civil libertarians' hackles up - monitoring financial transactions and communications, face print analysis like what was done at the Super Bowl, and other invasions of privacy. I for one am willing to sacrifice some anonymous freedom in exchange for my safety.

by kd at September 18, 2001 12:43 AM

Hmmm getting back to normal here, pleasure is ours? haha...dare you speak....no just kidding MG. I have already voiced what I feel needs to be done so I won't banter longer. The lines are good, what "I" need to to is use a paragraph every now and then...:-)

by Pristine at September 18, 2001 3:04 PM