« if i don't post this, they'll take away my weblog license | Main | more pics »

mg

its the end of the world as we know it

by mg at 08:56 AM on September 11, 2001

At approximately 8:30 this morning, a plane crashed into the side of one of the two towers of the World Trade Center in New York. A half hour later, another plane crashed into the other tower.

WTC This picture follows shortly after that second plane crashed. At this moment, there is NO explanation for either crash. Additionally, every broadcast television station in New York is currently down. Add to the list the fact that I am unable to access the CNN, NY1, Fox News, or BBC websites (MSNBC went dead shortly after I grabbed the picture).

At 9:30 am, all bridges and tunnels into and out of New York City have been closed. All area airports have been closed.

All of these things separately, and it doesn’t seem like that big a deal, but all together, not to mention the constant sirens outside my apartment (which is a good ten miles from the WTC), this is awfully scary.

I was in high school when the WTC was bombed in 1993. My school was only about a five minute walk away from the WTC, and when the explosion occurred, you could feel it. At the time, my uncle worked for a company headquartered in one of the towers. He had to walk down 83 flights of stairs, as the building was evacuated, and the family wasn’t able to hear from him for hours after the explosion.

With all those personal connection to that bombing, seeing the smoking embers of both towers is so much more scary today.

Maybe it’s because I’m older, and so much more invested into the working of modern society. I’ve got so much more to lose today than I did seven years ago.

Maybe it’s because the state of the world is so much more tenuous today than it was then. The 1993 WTC bombing was a shock. But that shock wore off. Then Oklahoma City happened. After years of isolation, it was proven that Americans were not safe, even on our own soil.

No one knows what really caused these two planes to crash. Though, nothing is certain yet, reports are trickling in about a hijacked plane out of Boston. Without any further news, I’d say this has to be another terrorist attack, and one more serious and organized than anything this country has seen before. I hate to be an alarmist, but this seems like the beginning of a war. Is America ready?

Glad to hear that you are far away from this awful thing. I'm surprised that you were able to blog it so fast. Right now we are all watching Real Player streaming media around our computer tech's computer in amazement and shock. I lost my breath when the south tower collapsed. This is too hard to believe.

by Josh at September 11, 2001 9:28 AM

As of about 10 minutes ago, BOTH of the towers of the World Trade Center have collapsed. The New York skyline will NEVER be the same.

On an average day, 50,000 to 75,000 people work in the WTC. No word yet on casualties, but they will be high.

by mg at September 11, 2001 9:49 AM

The first plane was hijacked from Boston's Logan airport, the other from Newark. A third plane has crashed into the Pentagon, which is currently on fire. A fourth plane is believed to be responsible for the collapse of the tower.

Another plane was hijacked from Pittsburgh, and is believed to have crashed somewhere in rural Pennyslvania.

by mg at September 11, 2001 10:00 AM

It is suspected that a total of eight planes have been hijacked.

Three have been accounted for (two at the WTC, one at the Pentagon).

The military is trying to locate the other five planes, but so far no word through my limited news feeds.

by mg at September 11, 2001 10:08 AM

Don't know whether it is related, but there are two missing U.S. spy planes in Iraq.

by mg at September 11, 2001 10:14 AM

Very glad to hear you're OK, MG, though it's hard to imagine the shock you must be in, having this hit so close to home. I'm three thousand miles away & it's seriously freaking me out. Keep us posted, if you can.

by kd at September 11, 2001 10:15 AM

SARASOTA, Fla. (Reuters) - President Bush Tuesday condemned what he called an "apparent terrorist attack" on the World Trade Center and pledged the U.S. government will "hunt down" those responsible.

"Terrorism against our nation will not stand," Bush said as he cut short a visit to Florida to return to Washington.

by mg at September 11, 2001 10:20 AM

GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian President Yasser Arafat condemned the aircraft attacks Tuesday on the World Trade Center in New York and on the Pentagon in Washington.

"We completely condemn this serious operation...We were completely shocked. It's unbelievable, unbelievable, unbelievable."

by mg at September 11, 2001 10:25 AM

Wasn't there smoke coming from the White House too?

The ABC news stream I was watching went down. I have to find a radio.

Long ago when (default) just started, there was a topic about how the latest generation of Americans have no pride in their country and how kids today have no respect for their elders. They don't understand the hardships that their grand or great-grand parents went through during the world wars. No scary world leaders posing a threat to their lives. I hope that we don't have to find out firsthand.

I just heard that 2 Boeing jets were shot down while they were enroute to the Pentagon.

This is like a dream. It feels like I've been at work all day, but it's only 10:15 am.

by Josh at September 11, 2001 10:30 AM

I have other excuses to stay home, my kid was a little bit sick last night, but I think I'd stay home anyway. I have no desire to be separated from my family today. This seems like it's just beginning...

by kd at September 11, 2001 10:46 AM

I was watching as it happened, though here it started at 2pm. I'm afraid the only thing I could give in my blog was a summary of the things we know and events as they happened for me, however I can tell you Britain is on it's toes too, they've evacuated the stock exchange and the Houses of Parliament.

by Mike at September 11, 2001 10:59 AM

I've been watching most of this live in the UK, but was unable to get online for a while. I'm so glad you were far enough away from this mg. I am devastated for all of you, what a terrible tragedy. I'm just horribly afraid we haven't seen the end of this yet.

by suey at September 11, 2001 11:39 AM

My prayers are with the U.S People.

by Ross at September 11, 2001 12:00 PM

Very glad you're safe, mg.

Watch the rumors.

by space at September 11, 2001 12:45 PM

My last comment on the Boeing jets must be WRONG. I haven't heard anything aboout it on TV, now that I am home for lunch.

I just can't focus on anything. Everything I am working on today seems meaningless in comparison.

by Josh at September 11, 2001 12:48 PM

Im glad that someone that I don't really know, but know of is safe. At the same time, it's heartbreaking to hear that such a terror can strike down on innocent people.

Take care mg.

by Max at September 11, 2001 1:33 PM

I heard from my mom, who called to check that I was safe. She is a New York City school teacher, and all NY schools are on lock-down. That means students will not be permitted to leave until a parent picks them up, and all teachers have to stay at their school until all the kids are gone. She might be there all night, but at least she is safe.

by mg at September 11, 2001 1:45 PM

I touched the ashes, those of the fallen, those of the innocent. People were walking in droves, to the north of my position, 29th st and Park Ave. I do not feel well right now. I am glad that I got in touch with everyone I could think of to make sure they are alright. This city will never be the same.

by bri at September 11, 2001 1:49 PM

This morning when I woke up, there was a letter from a friend of mine in New York City waiting for me - a girl I had done a design for last week, with pictures of the NY skyline.

I came outside to say hi to my stepmother and she told me the horrible news.

I'm so sorry - I'm glad you're safe.

by Alexis at September 11, 2001 3:52 PM

Checked in to see that you and Mom were cool...

by Charles at September 11, 2001 3:53 PM

Now there is a feeding frenzy at the gas pump. On my way home from work, I saw lines and lines of people at the pump. News reports say that prices are as high as $4 per gallon in St. Louis, Missouri. It's like the bank runs in 1929. People are panicked. So far, prices in Columbia aren't up, but I'll what happens.

Still no word from a few of my friends who live and work in downtown New York. I think that they are fine since they are a ways norh from the towers.

by Josh at September 11, 2001 5:52 PM