« the world has turned and left me here | Main | what is there left to say? »

mg

it just keeps going

by mg at 10:21 PM on September 11, 2001

Amanda just yelled at me from the other room, I was worried. With the events of the day, my immediate reaction was something awful just happened.

I yelled back: What?

She came running into the room: The subway!

Perplexed, I asked: The subway?

As ernestly as could be imagined, she replied: The subway. World Trade Center. They'll have to change the signs.

I immediately knew what she meant.

The signs for that stop on the E line say "World Trade Center." But the World Trade Center is no more.

The two most evident examples, the Twin Towers, are destroyed. Building 7 collapsed around 5:30. The rest of the buildings in the complex are most likely damaged beyond repair, and it will be a long while before we know the true extent of the damage. But one thing is for sure, New York's World Trade Center is no more.

And with all the times we've seen the video today and all the commentary we've heard, things slowly begin to seem unreal. As I've read, heard and felt a thousand times, this all seems so much more like a movie than reality. And then, something simple like the name of a subway station brings you back to truth of what has happened.

I am still shocked by the images of what happened.

by Josh at September 11, 2001 10:54 PM

The sign will stay. Mayor of NYC has affirmed that the WTC will be re-built.

by othercheek at September 12, 2001 12:09 PM

Yes, it may be re-built, but it will never be the same and plus, people may be offended by building it again and protest.

I am not an American and will never understand the true patriotic feelings, but i think they should not re-build as the memories of all the dead would be too much to take.

by Ross at September 12, 2001 12:53 PM

I think the WTC needs to be rebuilt, because to fail to do so would be to admit defeat. What rises from these ashes will never be the same, but in my mind it symbolizes the resilience of the American spirit.

I'm not feeling very resilient right now, I'm figuring that will take a bit of time to happen. Right now, even from three thousand miles away, I feel fragile, vulnerable, and helpless.

by kd at September 12, 2001 1:27 PM

It would be American TO rebuild and if on the exact spot, it would also serve as memory for those who died in vein and that they would be avenged by the construction-showing those who did this that though they may have killed several thousands of innocent people, we as American citizens will have won in the end! They will not have accomplished what they wanted! Americans and most important, New Yorkers will not let them bother us with their ignorance and arrogance to stop the world economy or US in general!

Unless you are an American and can understand how proud we are and why we are so proud, it would almost be virtually impossible to comprehend how truely strong we really are when we stand side by side in unity! Power by force is not even close to what the American people can do when we all join in Unity!!!

by Pristine at September 12, 2001 1:29 PM

I think that the WTC should be rebuilt, but I'm not sure if it should be where it was. A memorial of some kind would be more fitting. I don't think that putting both in the same spot would be very honorable to the victims.

by Josh at September 12, 2001 1:54 PM

If the prupose of this terrorim was to prove that those perpetrating the heinous crime could disrupt the American way of life, the most fitting way to handle the possible rebuilding of the WTC is to put the towers back up, exactly the same as the looked befoer, and exactly where they were before.

by mg at September 12, 2001 4:17 PM

Moreover, Michael, it would indeed be best to rebuild, on the same site, in a honourable and fitting manner, to let it be known the world over that the US citizens are not about to be cowed by terrorism, and that you are far more resilient as you are stronger for this tragic act of cowardice. Show everyone you again and again that you won't stand to be anyone's target or hostage of fear. Go get 'em, Yanks!

by Lilly at September 12, 2001 5:30 PM

I would even think the Towers would be the most fitting memorial. The first floors could be the memorial. Build on the memories and unbreakable spirit of the innocents.

by snaggle at September 12, 2001 9:50 PM

Check out http://www.geocities.com/peace_towers for one look about how the towers might be rebuilt...

by check this out at September 30, 2001 8:46 PM

We believe that the World Trade Centers should not be re-built in the past location for we must mourn the loss of the pure and innocent souls that were lost in the tragic evnts that occurred on that mind-bending, joy stripping, soul bleeding, unholy dark day. Our opinion is just another twisted version of the descret truth of this demented and unjust life we do have the indescribable pain that pleasures the demonic deapths of each soul. Please on our behalf have a enlightned day.

FOR ANY OPINIONS YOU MAY E-MAIL EITHER ONE OF US!

SINCERELY,