« never thought i'd see you naked | Main | rock the vote »

northstar

And after the spanking, the oral sex....

by northstar at 06:42 PM on May 05, 2002

In yesterday's edition of the Dallas Morning News, was this article about Fr. Norman Rogge, who from all indications is the Dallas Diocese poster boy for pedophilia. At the very least, he is the beneficiary of the Catholic Church's "deny, delay, and diminish" strategy. Fr. Rogge, among his many accomplishments, has these to be proud of:

1) Groping a young teen at a movie
2) Fondling teens during swimming lessons
3) Exposing himself to an 11-year-old boy on a weekend trip
4) Soliciting oral sex

He is a twice-convicted sex offender, and yet the Church has never felt it necessary to take steps to ensure he has no contact with children. Instead, Church strategy was merely to transfer the problem, perhaps hoping against hope that the problem would not transfer with him.

What is sad about Fr. Rogge's story is not that it is the exception. To a large degree, it has been the rule within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church for years. Denial is indeed more than a river in Egypt. This river runs straight through the Vatican, with the College of Cardinals as river guides and the Pope as Captain.

Speaking for myself, I have never been a fan of the Catholic Church, and for reasons having nothing to do with the current pedophilia scandal. For those people whose Catholic faith has been their anchor, I feel for them. How sad to find out that not only does the Church not protect it's flock, it for years effectively denied that there was even a problem.

I also feel for those priests who go about their daily duties with a sense of humility and dedication to those they serve. There are many of them, but their service has been tarnished by those deviants who prey on children. It is truly depressing to think that a clerical collar, once the symbol of peace and prayer and service, is now also a symbol of stolen childhoods and sexual deviancy.

Th funniest thing is that the church got together and made a decision about how to handle things. Now, they'll only let a priest molest a child twice before going to the police. Isn't it nice to know they've got things under control?

by mg at May 5, 2002 11:12 PM

While Fr. Rogge is a bad one, I think that Rudy Kos was worse. When we moved to Dallas, he was one of the associate pastors at the parish we joined (this was 1984 or 1985). Around that time, there was an article about him in PC magazine. Seems that some of the kids in the parish liked to hang out with him because he had a computer and would let them play games. It called him the "computer priest of North Dallas." Never occurred to me to wonder about motivation...
He was abruptly transferred out of the parish shortly afterward (six months or a year); eventually he was in charge of a parish. This was the classic maneuver for the diocese when faced with a pedophile priest.
Anyway, the pastor - who was very well-regarded by most members of the parish, but who must have known what was going on - was replaced. By a monsignor from the diocese, who just happened to be the one who was alleged to have orchestrated the coverup. Tactful, huh?
A few years later, in another parish, we got a sermon about how we should be careful about who we recommend for the priesthood. This was after the diocese lost a big court case. The problem is, does the Church listen? Going back to Rudy Kos, when he applied to be a priest, his ex-wife (annulled marriage; don't even get me started on that) said that he should not be considered, because he had strange sexual habits.
So, I still consider myself a Catholic, but I really feel betrayed by the Church. I don't go very often, and I don't give them any money.

by John at May 6, 2002 3:07 PM

I didn't read the article but boy am I engulfed in noxious fumes!

by Lizard of the Ages at May 6, 2002 11:13 PM

How 'bout them apples?!

by Lizard of the Ages at May 6, 2002 11:13 PM

What is especially politically deceitful is that the Catholic population in Dallas is primarily, of course, Hispanic and Asian. Two cultures where such topics are frequently swept under the rug, where standing in the community is everything, where sex is often seen as shameful, and within which the Church can do no wrong. Don't tell me that the Catholic Church Incorporated doesn't consider such things when deciding where to place these sicko pedophile priests (who they actively solicit because they are hard up for volunteers and figure they'll make good celebates.) They don't send these people (generally) to New York or Baltimore or St. Louis or other places with a more white population of Catholics - whose communities are more likely to suspect and act upon such accusations. Just like standing by while the Nazi exterminated the Jews (less competition!), the nauseating institution that makes money off of human suffering and hypocracy uses race and cultural politics in a campaign of social genocide engineered to extract every possible dollar from the communties to fill their coffers of hate.

by Charles at May 7, 2002 12:23 AM

You are wrong about that Charles. The biggest scandal I've heard about was in Massatuchets, you can't get much whiter than a Catholic in Boston. This whole situation couldn't be more perfect, from the pedophiles point of view. Because they are priests (as opposed to teachers, or neighbors), they simultaneously have a greater power over the children and others are less likely to believe a priest could do anything wrong.

by mg at May 7, 2002 1:50 AM

I'm a Catholic, don't go to church,but pray.
The Pastor at my church just wants money, invitations to eat dinner, and jobs so he can play his drums. If you go to him with a problem, like I did, all he says is that things will get better.
Whatta joke..And the Bishop of this region wants $250 from me, to help retired priests.
Yeah, right...

by toxiclabrat at May 7, 2002 2:44 PM

Oh I wasn't saying the ethnic population was the exclusive consideration, but I bet it entered their minds. And when they started to get a lot of complaints about the Boston priest, where do they ship him? That's right - California (Asian & Hispanic Catholic majorities.)
And here's the synopsis of the worst story I've seen - in Miami:
PRIESTS ACCUSED OF RUNNING BOY SEX RING
A lawsuit filed by a former Florida altar boy accuses two priests at Church of the Little Flower in Miami of sexually abusing him and numerous other boys some 30 years ago. Jose Albino Currais Jr.
said Revs. Ricardo Castellanos and Alvaro Guichard forced the boys to participate in orgies and ran a teen prostitution ring that provided sexual services for visiting seminarians from Rome.
Currais' lawsuit names the Vatican, the Miami Archdiocese and the two Roman Catholic priests as defendants.

I don't think it is all planned, but I do definately think they use less "watchful" dioceses to try and cover up the scandals - and they take advantage of the etnicity and culture of different parrishes when they can.

by Charles at May 8, 2002 2:44 AM

I can hardly even believe that story on on Rudy Kos. To think that his former wife even clued the people in on this guy's weird sexual behavior.
I am a devout Catholic who is a Eucharistic Minister and very dedicated. I just found out that Fr. Ricardo Castellanos is a pedophile from San Isidro in Pompano Beach, FL. I had just left his church a month prior because I was tired after 11 years of his ARROGANT, SNOBISH, BETTER THAN behavior. 11 years there and the man never said a word to me. Plus, I was actually scared of the guy, along with so many others. I tithed my income and volunteered in ministry. Do you know why? Because I was caught up in his CULT. No kidding. This guy has the whole church worshipping him. He is on such a high pedestal that it is incredible. Oh- and EVERYONE there thinks he is innocent.
He surrounds himself with boys and young men and I never realized why. What an idiot I was.
Now with these "alleged" accusations, and being "temporarily" suspended from ministry, he takes off for Spain (He usually goes in the Summer). So he is vacationing, living it up with MY money, and just waiting to come back and make a fool out of the rest of the people again.
Get this one; He wears Armani suits all the time and drives a Lexis. He owns a home in Lauderhill.
This guy has nerve more than anybody I've ever seen.
When will it end? When will he pay the price of spitting in God's face?

by Teresa at May 26, 2002 8:29 PM

This guy has nerve more than anybody I've ever seen.
When will it end? When will he pay the price of spitting in God's face?

by Teresa at May 26, 2002 8:29 PM

I ran into an old high school friend last week and she told me about the catholic sex scandals involving Father Castellanos & ex-boyfriend Jose Currais. I was in shock! to say the least. Father Castellaos was our spiritual leader during the 4 years I spent at La Salle High School (72-75) . Since it´s been a years since the scadal broke in the Miami Hearld can someone tell me what has happened with the law suit against Castellanos? By the way, Teresa he was always an arrogant bastard. Diana

by Diana at May 29, 2003 3:34 PM

i had se

by Carina Murphy at October 24, 2003 7:39 AM

Answering to Charles and Teresa Fr. Ricardo is innocent. Teresa you said you attended San Isidro for 11 years than you should know that Father Ricardo's Lexus was a gift he received for his 25th Anniversary of being a priest. And for your information I personally know the group of people that gave money for Father Ricardo's Lexus. He always go on vacation to Spain at the begining of May and that was the same time he took his vacation when he was suspended. He also ran an international ministry and he was known world wide so he was a target. Say what you want but I know Fr. Ricardo because I served with him and worked with him for more years than 11 years. Diana being arrogant doest make you a bastard so have more class.

by G.A. at October 26, 2004 12:44 AM

Regardless of the fact that this current topic is over a year old, I must say what is on my mind and what I know to be true. I have known Fr. Ricardo for 15 years. I served with him as an altar server, and worked in the church with him as my boss. Yes he has his quirks, and yes quite arrogant, but always respectful. He never, never made a move or any kind of comment that would suggest otherwise. He is a good, God fearing man, and now has had his good name dragged through the mud, because so many want to bring down the Catholic Church. He is not returning to San Isidro, and this saddens me. But I will not hold this against him or the church, as my eyes and faith are fixed on only one man, and that Is Jesus Christ.

by WRT at April 6, 2005 5:56 PM

by William at April 6, 2005 5:56 PM

Brilliant, is he back again? Post a link to some recent pictures, please! Is Hey Zeus sporting a goaty these days?

Did the 'Is' in: 'and that Is Jesus Christ', really need a capital I?

by Ex Crimson Guard NCO at April 7, 2005 9:40 AM

formaliza litigio por difamaciónCASTO OCANDOEl Nuevo HeraldEl sacerdote católico Alvaro Guichard, acusado de abuso sexual de menores en varias demandas contra la Arquidiócesis de Miami, formalizó un litigio contra el abogado Jeffrey Herman por difamación y fraude en la corte, así como por conspirar con sus clientes para obtener dinero con denuncias falsas en su contra.
En la acción legal, en la cual el cura actúa como su propio defensor y sin abogados, se solicita también que se realice un juicio con jurado, para que se conozcan las pruebas que sustentan los cargos formulados por Herman contra Guichard.
De acuerdo con la demanda, que podría ser la primera presentada por un sacerdote para defenderse de alegaciones de abuso sexual, Guichard acusa a Herman de difamarlo públicamente, y señalarlo de ''violar'', ''sodomizar'' y abusar sexualmente de cinco personas en la parroquia Little Flower de Miami, en la década de 1970 y en 1980.
''No soy culpable de ningún delito; no hay pruebas, evidencias o testigos, y fue una infamia del abogado Herman para difamarme públicamente'', declaró Guichard.
James Kaplan, el abogado designado por Herman para defenderlo, no pudo responder un cuestionario enviado por El Nuevo Herald porque, según su oficina, se encontraba fuera de la ciudad.
Pero en un correo electrónico, Kaplan señaló escuetamente: ``En nombre de mi cliente, permítame responder formalmente a sus preguntas [diciendo] que la demanda del señor Guichard carece completamente de méritos y que el señor Herman espera prevalecer totalmente en la corte''.
El padre Guichard describió en la demanda, presentada el 17 de noviembre en el circuito 11 de Miami-Dade, las fallas de cada una de las cinco acusaciones de abuso sexual .
• Miguel Chinchilla. Fallecido en 1993, participó como acusador de Guichard en una demanda contra 20 sacerdotes presentada por el psicólogo Simón Miranda en 1987, pero luego se retractó . Su madre, Rita Chinchilla, decidió presentar un nuevo caso en el 2002 a instancias de Herman, ``sin evidencia sólida''.
• José Albino Currais. Este entrenador de caballos afirmó que había sido abusado por Guichard a principios de los 70 en la parroquia de Little Flower, en Coral Gables, junto a un grupo de otros jóvenes. Pero tanto Currais como el supuesto testigo que presentó, Dennis Leyva, se retractaron en declaraciones juradas.
• Carlos Castellanos Carricarte. En noviembre de 2003 manifestó que también había sido abusado en Little Flower. Pero según Guichard, en la demanda nunca se dijo que Castellanos tenía varias identidades, había tenido tres entradas a la cárcel en Miami a mediados de los 80 y había pasado nueve años en prisión en Arizona, entre 1991 y el 2000, por robo a mano armada.
• Boris Rafael Castellanos. En marzo del 2004 dijo que había sido abusado, pero luego incurrió en contradicciones en sus declaraciones. Guichard dijo que Castellanos ha sido convicto en dos oportunidades por posesión de marihuana y posesión e intento de vender cocaína.
• Felipe Cruz. Presentó su caso en febrero del 2005. Según Guichard, tenían una larga amistad. ''Le bauticé a su primer hijo en 1994 en Costa Rica, y a su hija en el 2002''. El presbítero dijo también que el abogado Herman ``presionó a Cruz para que me incluyera en su demanda''.
El sacerdote expresó que los tres últimos casos se presentaron en la corte con el rostro cubierto, y en la demanda no se aclararon las múltiples identidades a las que estaban asociados, lo cual, según Guichard, puede constituir un delito de tergiversación.
La Arquidiócesis de Miami aceptó en septiembre del 2004 pagar una compensación de $3.4 millones para cerrar más de una veintena de casos de abusos por parte de sacerdotes, entre ellos los del padre Guichard.
''Para mí, este acuerdo es un reconocimiento y aceptación de responsabilidad por parte de la Iglesia'', declaró entonces Herman.
email thisprint thisreprint or license this

by from el nuevo herald 11-1-06 at January 12, 2006 12:06 AM

. I attended San Isisdro. I am shocked to hear about Fr. Ricardo. I drove every sunday from WPalm. I especially loved Fr. Sal and want to kno why he is no longer there. where is he?

by L Desroches at July 2, 2006 6:29 AM

Hola, me resulta increibley estoy anonadada al leer las acusaciones sobre el P. ricardo castellanos, es realmente cierto?, yo lo escuchaba en la tele esos discursos que daba y eran una maravilla, es posible tanta hipocresia de su parte,? realmente no lo concibo, como va su juicio? donde esta el/ que hace ahora? esta detenido o retirado? yo le escribi en el 2001 y me retornaron la carta, pense que escribi mal la direccion, despues me entere que habia tenido problemas pero no de este tipo. gracias por alguna informacion y bendiciones.Sonia

by sonia at April 6, 2007 10:26 AM

Como dicen las escrituras..."El que este libre de pecado que tire la prmera piedra".

Yo personalmente visite la iglesia de san isidro en el 84, razones del destino que me llevaron a ponerme a los pies del Senor, ahi el Dios de todos me fortalecia, y me invito a recibirlo en mi corazon 23 anos atras....el padre Ricardo fue la persona que Dios permitio me invitara a recibir a jesus como mi salvador.No puedo juzgar nada, ni retirarme de la iglesia catolica, yo siempre asisti a buscar a mi Dios, y n pueda mirar atras ingrata a la labor del padre Ricardo. Solo debemos tener la mirada en el verdadero Dios, que sabemos nosotros de los demas? que sabemos el interioir de cada hmano para juzgar? hagamos un examen de conciencia y enviemos todo nuestro amor y gratitud a esa persona por las cuales llego el mensaje de salvacion. El que al final va a juzgar es nuestro Jesucristo.Donde se encuentre hermano Ricardo, Dios lo bendiga y haga realdad los suenos de su corazon.

by Zita Narvaez at July 28, 2007 4:31 PM

About Fr. Castellanos: I helped at san Isidro many years ago. He was always sourrended by VERY young boys, that "HE WAS HELPING" very strange. No surprise when accusations were made. In ref to the lexus, it was a present, before he agree to drive a BMW for a while, but made very clear that he really wanted a Mercedes (that was in 1883) this car was a present from a parishionerwho later was accused of drug traff, he also pay for the construction of part of the parking lot of the new church. By the way, He is still preaching for a group of people in Davie, and changed completely his opinion about the Catholic Church

by MAU at June 28, 2008 11:12 AM