« the whine-a-thon continues | Main | Is a Triple Lutz acceptable in mixed company?? »

jasmine

We Just Don't Get It

by jasmine at 03:19 AM on February 23, 2002

I was watching figure skating (an evil guilty pleasure of mine) when it went for a break. Who pops up on the screen but Bob Costas introducing some guy who will explain to us ignorant Americans that elusive sport (if you can call it that) known as Curling.

The guy goes on to explain why it is so big in Canada, and why everyone should love it. Then he goes on to talk about how some gold medal winning woman died and all of Canada mourned. Then he blabs on about how curling is the sport of the average unfit person.

That's all fine and dandy, but what in the hell is it! I have never had a bigger headache in my life, then while trying to figure out in the span of five minutes what is this 'sport' about.

The man didn't explain what in the hell is it. Whats with the brooms? Does that rock thingy have a name? Is there a point for the rock thingy getting to the end?
Why! Why! Why!

I don't fucking get it! Am I the only American who is so brutally confused about this? By the way I have a headache the size of Texas for even thinking about this.

ah. reporting at its best. oh. you wanted facts and information, not human interest stories? ... you shouldn't be watching american tv.

by jenn at February 23, 2002 9:57 AM

Hey, I'm Canadian and I didn't know any of that!
I hate it when they forget to invite me to meetings.

by Bill at February 23, 2002 9:59 AM

Texas is perdy big! and to me Curling sounds too much like "HURLING" if you get my drift? :-)

by Pristine at February 23, 2002 11:58 AM

i like curling. it's kind of trippy & hypnotic, i sit there thinking, wow, at some point somebody actually thought, hey let's slide a big rock across some ice while guys sweep. and then they put this on tv. and then i watch. way trippy.

by kd at February 23, 2002 4:30 PM

I'm from Canada, Quebec and I really don't get it either. this has to be the stupidest event in the olympics and I don't know a single Canadian that likes it.

by Jonathan Gauthier at February 25, 2002 9:44 AM

Curling is oddly fun to watch. It's difficult to explain. All I know is that it's a helluva lot more interesting than watching figure skating.

by jesus at February 25, 2002 1:50 PM

curling is nothing but shuffleboard on ice, so why it's an olympic sport is beyond me...but remember, we are talking about the WINTER olympics here. and as everybody knows, the winter olympics are just crap

by Matt at February 28, 2002 5:45 PM