« Best Behavior | Main | the wedding dress was the cure »

jasmine

The Lining of a Bird Cage

by jasmine at 04:05 PM on February 18, 2002

So, today being Presidents Day you would thing I would sit back and think about all that makes this country great right? Wrong. I'm goin' down under and try to explain this Australian cultural phenomenon called Vegemite. See that? yes there is even a website devoted to it.

What is it really? A salty yeast extract that looks like bird poop, and it has the largest supply of vitamin B possible. They eat it on toast and It's supposed to "Put a rose on every cheek" and best of all it tastes like crap. Okay, at least it does from my American tastebuds.

I'm not knocking it despite it's taste, although I would like to use it to torture people with. But, what makes it so great? What drives people to like it so much, they create a theme song about it? And why in England is it called marmite?

vegemite.gif

My friend Brendan and I stayed up until three o'clock last night talking to people from Australia who love it so much, yet can't give us a good enough reason why. I think it's that whole southern hemisphere thing. If anyone gets a chance to taste it, let me know I want pictures.

The Worst part about vegemite is that Kraft makes it. I trust these people with my cheese!

I think they've tried to get Vegimite here in the States but no one cared. I think the problem is there wasn't enough Vitamin B. Oh sure, they say "it has the largest supply of vitamin B possible" but I bet they could fit more in there.

by mg at February 18, 2002 4:12 PM

I believe that Vegemite is the Aussie version of Marmite -- which came from Britain and supposedly has an even stronger flavor than Vegemite. I can't say I like either.

by chunshek at February 18, 2002 4:49 PM

so, this is the stuff they scrape off fermenting beer, right? i just can't help but think that it's a good thing, an acquired taste of course, but many, many good things are you know...

by kd at February 18, 2002 6:15 PM

Well, i'm out and i'm proud as a Marmite lover, always was and always will be, somehow its in my jeans, oops i meant genes, i mean its not as if i carry a little pot wherever i go!

by emma at February 18, 2002 6:16 PM

Those crazy Australians. Kangaroos and koala bears running around all over, dingos chasing down small children, and the wonderful thing called Vegemite. It sounds nutritious. Keep it away.

by jesus at February 18, 2002 6:42 PM

As an Aussie, I love the stuff, but I'd be hard pressed to say why. I think you just get hooked during childhood because it is about the strongest substance people will give little kids. Can't stand Marmite though, or even worse, Promite - do they have that in other countries?

by eggtangle at February 18, 2002 9:14 PM

The stuff falls into the "outrageous" price category here in Hawaii - $14 for a little jar of it. I'll save my curiosity for later.

by westernexposure at February 18, 2002 10:20 PM

ok, first of all "Jesus", Australia is the coolest fucking country on this god-forsaken planet of ours!!! any country that can give us Men at Work, INXS, Crocodile Dundee, and Claudia Schiffer by default cannot be "crazy".

Secondly, asking people to explain why they like food is just retarded. could you imagine having to explain to an Australian why you like some of the things you like to eat? Like apple pie. Personally I hate it, but I find it's one of those "American institution" type things, so everybody and their grandma LOVES it, yet not one person can give a valid reason for liking it. It's like Apple Jacks; "we just do!"

Thirdly, I'm sure Americans can find about ten millions things to knock America on. Like the Superbowl. And N'Sync ballads. And the whole state of Idaho.

by Matt at February 19, 2002 8:34 PM

That should have read "Thirdly, I'm sure AUSTRALIANS can find about ten millions things to knock America on. Like the Superbowl. And N'Sync ballads. And the whole state of Idaho.

by Matt at February 19, 2002 8:36 PM