« Hey, does anyone know any good pickup lines in Croatian?? | Main | how you like me now? »

emma

Driving in my soapbox

by emma at 11:17 AM on February 25, 2002

At last a road levy to dissuade the British driving public from continuing to drive free of responsibility, new monthly road charges will aim to dissipate congestion and air pollution and see an end to extensive road building.
Nothing gets on my tits more than the amount of single people i see sitting in their cars each and every day of the week, clogging up the roads, polluting the air just because they think they'll get to work that bit faster or because its easier than walking their kids to school. I realise that its every persons perogative to drive but why can't they car share, or give public transport a go, or even, dare i say, WALK. Isn't it time to take responsibility, there are no excuses, we are all aware of the downsides of driving, we know how much traffic contributes to pollution, most certainly to congestion and not to mention road traffic accidents.
Now you may have guessed that i have a 'thing' about cars, in that i don't drive, although i have, but cars don't interest me in the slightest, now this may place me in the minority but honestly, what person is happy to spend good hours of their lives cooped up in a metal box on some featurless roadway, watching the clock, tick, tock, tick, tock away!? No matter which direction they look all they see are other prisoners in metal boxes desperately trying to oppress the slowly building rage.
Personally, i cycle to work, each day i glide past all those four wheeled suckers stuck in traffic jams and although it can be a tad nerve wracking (there's always one maniac driver on the loose) its a damn site quicker and a whole lot less stressful, and at least i'll keep my sanity this way and money in my wallet.

I don't know. I've lived in cities where having a car is necessary to get around, and I've lived in cities where public transportation is the way to go. Having done both, I can say that, sure drivers are just "prisoners in metal boxes" but so are those who use public transportation. The only difference is that cars are like solitary confinement and mass transit is like general population. You're still in prison, only you've got a better chance of being made someone's bitch.

by mg at February 25, 2002 12:40 PM

As much as i would prefer people to use the roads less i realise more often than not that it is a necessity. Public transport can certainly be a hellish experience, i have even written about it myself.
In my experience all of lifes nutcases seem to be compelled to hang out in bus and train stations, in addition, for reasons unknown i always seem to attract these most unsavoury characters, hence the reason i cycle.
Is there a lesser of the two evils? It seems not!

by emma at February 25, 2002 12:58 PM

Anyone here from LA ride their bike to work? It might be funny to see, but I dunno about the practicality of it. It also might be funny to see how long it took to be run down by an angry motorist.

by jesus at February 25, 2002 1:45 PM

How about trying one of those hybrid gas/electric cars? I'd bike more, but no one obeys traffic laws when it comes to cyclists, and the cops here don't enforce them.

by MrBlank at February 25, 2002 4:59 PM

I'm with jesus. I hate it, but Dallas doesn't even have sidewalks, let alone comprehensive public transportation. You're taking about a metro area that covers 3200 square miles. And it's not as if everything is in one small part of town either. My office is 14 miles from my house (about an hour in traffic.) And that's considered an "easy" and "short" commute. I think northstar will concure - Houston's just as bad. Except for a handful of cities on the East Coast, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle - all US cities are built around the car, and thus you have to have one to do anything at all. And drive and drive and drive...

by Charles at February 27, 2002 2:46 AM

Sounds like a job for (Trumpets please) SEGWAY!!!
It'll revolutionize our lives yet!

by Tricky_47 at February 28, 2002 8:56 PM